Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Locked up Blaster

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked up Blaster

My buddy told my his Blaster stalled out and the kickstarter is now locked up. I'm picking it up this weekend to fix it and I was hoping some of you could give me some suggestions of what could have happend?

Old 03-17-2005, 11:12 AM
Trailblazer

Well tell him congratulations his motor has seized! Time to pull the top end off and do a damage/cost estimation - gotta' keep up on those top end rebuilds! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-18-2005, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, that's what i'm thinking, he doesn't know anything about it he just puts gas and oil in it and rides. What would need to be replaced on worst case scenario? It will prolly need an over bore too? How much should I charge him in labor if I disassemble everything, order all of the parts (he's paying) and put it all back together?

Old 03-19-2005, 04:44 AM
Pro Rider

Your going to fix it and you have no idea what may of happened?

hhhhmmmmm

Old 03-19-2005, 04:51 AM
Pro Rider

Rip the head off and survey the damage. Your definetly going to have to overbore, get a new piston and put it back together, 2 stroker are super easy to work on, so without the downtime your gonna have from the machine shop, you should be able to get it back together in like an hour or 2. Charge him a case of beer and make him help.

Old 03-19-2005, 10:30 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

maybe charge like $20 an hour???

Old 03-19-2005, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

the onen local shop near me charges $67 an hour! that convinced my dad to get me some more specific tools so i can do all the work on my bike and atv

Old 03-19-2005, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: potentpete
Your going to fix it and you have no idea what may of happened?

hhhhmmmmm
Ok, I guess your trying to be funny, but I'm looking for suggestions, what does it matter to you? When he told me what happend I automatically thought his motor siezed up, but I was asking to find out if the kickstarter could be messed up or something in the bottom end could have tied up. There is nothing wrong with me asking for some suggestions that may help me. I've taken apart many 2 and 4-stroke motors, but none of them have had this problem, they usally had low compression due to worn rings or scratched cylinders. Anyways I'll prolly pick it up today and take it apart to see what is damaged. I took my Banshee cylinders to a shop called PR racing and they bored the cylinders for about $100 each. I think i'll charge about 50 dollars for labor because he is a friend and he WILL be buying me a case of beer for sure.

Old 03-19-2005, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

Don't rip into the top end first. It could be a simple fix with the kickstart gear or return spring. Sometimes the spring will break and lock up the kicker and make it seem like the motor is seized. You don't want to be removing the jug and replacing gaskets if you don't have to be. If there is a problem with the kick starter you'll see it as soon as you pull the clutch cover off.

Old 03-21-2005, 05:01 PM
Range Rover

Before you even pull the clutch cover off just open the oil cap above it and push on the kicker.. If the gears inside that you can see through the holes dont turn... its the kicker.. if the gears do turn.. its prolly the motor or something differnt.

Quick Reply: Locked up Blaster