Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Griz 660, FMF pipe, K&N...not much of a gain ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 11:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Griz 660, FMF pipe, K&N...not much of a gain ???

I have a 05 griz and just put on a FMF powerline pipe and k&n filter. I dont really see that much of a differance. I have a Jet kit, but I see alot of people did not need to jet the griz and got some gains. Should I adjust something on the carb, or just install the jet kit.

Here are some pics of my new setup and custom mods.

Thanks for your help ahead of time.
Smo

My 05 Griz 660

Old 03-27-2005, 12:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Install the jet kit and make sure its dialed in right and you'll notice the gains. If its a dynojet kit, they probably have instructions included that will be fairly close to the right settings, normally depending on altitude. For mine, I used their recommended settings and everything worked fine. 155 main jet, needle on 4rth clip, and maybe 3.25 turns out on the mixture screw. This was with an HMF pipe, but I doubt that it makes a big difference on whose pipe it is.

Old 03-27-2005, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice griz

Old 03-27-2005, 12:57 AM
Trailblazer

You are, unfortunately, right. You won't see much gain.

I tried a Supertrapp IDSX on mine and all it did was make noise. Others here may disagree but I tried everything and spent a bunch of money only to find that the stock settings are really tough to beat. With the pipe, the jetting was perfect from the factory, I checked it several times.

The factory exhaust and especially the air filter are very well designed. About the only thing I tried that made any sort of difference was drilling holes in the airbox.

Check my photo gallery to see what your bike would look like with 589's!

Old 03-27-2005, 11:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Supertrapp isn't exactly the best pipe in the world. Did you have your jetting right? There was a guy on here 2 weeks ago that installed a pipe and didn't see much difference. He added the jet kit, got it dialed in right, and bam, big difference.

Mine is a very noticeable difference over stock. Yes its loud too, but it will embarass a stock Grizzly in many other ways than just noise pollution

Old 03-27-2005, 12:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

One more question, I have a 4 year extended warranty. Do you think they will get fussy if I rejet? Just curious.

Steve

Old 03-27-2005, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

I OGGYDOGGY are the guy Andy is talking about I follwed Andys lead , First I just installed the jet that HMF sent with slip on, not much gain if any til Andy said to get the jet kit .I put the dyna jet kit in spring ,needle, and 155 jet, the jet that hmf sent was a 175 way too big for my elev. I guess they are over cautious. Also I have a k&n filter. 27" tires and she will lift the front end with ease thier is definetly a diff with mine .This weekend I thought I hung with BF 750 a little longer and actually got a better hole shot he got me from top of mid to top, oh he was still pulling away though. I also still have my quiet core in , Cant wait to put the stockers back on and pull out the core and go at that BF again I know he will still beat me , but its fun to get closer. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-27-2005, 05:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Awsome, I am Jetting tomorrow. For my area I need the 155 jet. I will post my results. I appreciate your help.

Steve

Old 03-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I re-jetted this morning. I used a dynojet kit with 155 jet on 4th grove. I started with taking the airbox out and then removeing the gas cover and gas tank. They were tricky, if you just peel the front LCD plastic up a bit there is a hole you can get a 10mm with long extension down in and unbolt the front of the gas tank. I did not have to rip a thing off the front end. *** Tip, make sure you removed the ON,OFF, RES fuel ****...it seems like that woudl break if up pull up on the tank fast.

I unbolted the clamps on the carb and twisted it right up to work on it. The screws are tight, you may need to use a samll pair of vise grips and break them loose.

In the carb to change the needle, you need to use a small pair of needle nose to pull out a whie o-ringed cap that holds the needle assembly in. I was confused by this at first.

Well I set the mix screw to 2.5 turns out.

I put eveything half back together (incase i had to rip it down again).

I gave the giz full choke and started right up...I left the choke on a bit and ran it at half for a bit to warm her up. I turned the choke off and she idled a bit high...so I turned that down just a bit.

Now the SUCK part, it is raining like **** here...so I will not be able to trail test it for a day or so. But the throttle reponse is WAY different. It takes the gas right away and seems like the low end will be alot better.

I just wanted to post this...I will update when the damm rain stops. I will also do some plug checks to let you know if the 2.5 turns out is a good setting.

Smo out

I did put on a FMF pipe and K&N a few days ago...

Old 03-28-2005, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

Mine is just over 3 turns out I made a special screw driver to reset it. man thats the tuff part getting my big hands in there.I did my plastic shortcuts just like you did.NO need to dismantle the whole front end. You will notice a diff . Let us know.good luck

Quick Reply: Griz 660, FMF pipe, K&N...not much of a gain ???