Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

diesal atv's?? is it possible???

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diesal atv's??

is it possible? alot of car companies are comming out w/ diesal engines engines pushing more ponies and faster times then the gas powerd cars and diesals have low rpm torque for off-roading so dont u think it would b good idea to do so? and if deisal dosent please the tress huggers idk what will!!

Old 04-03-2005, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default diesal atv's?? is it possible???

Polaris made a Diesel Sportsman back in 99 -2001 ish. It was a slug from what I've heard. I'm sure a search of the Polaris forum will get you tons of info.

Old 04-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Trailblazer

Sure it is. Anything is possible. Ya just gotta have enough people that want it and some genius to find a way to do it.

Old 04-03-2005, 06:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: PADZZ
Polaris made a Diesel Sportsman back in 99 -2001 ish. It was a slug from what I've heard. I'm sure a search of the Polaris forum will get you tons of info.
yeah but thye pulled like a mother f'er , so from what i have herd , that they pull alot weight

Old 04-03-2005, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

i dunno who told u or what ur smoking but diesels DO NOT and i repeat DO NOT push more horse than gas powered cars...diesels are generally built high horsepower yes but thats because there meant to be used for ie. cemis

Old 04-03-2005, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

mercades benz toke one of there cars converted it to diesal and it actually shaved 1 sec off the 1/4 mile times there where a bunch of car mfg on the chicago road show today saying this including mercades thats where i got the idea

Old 04-03-2005, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

in europe bmw, and other companys are useing diesel all over. the only reason its not in the states is because of refinery costs of diesel

it would cost ONE PENNY MORE to refine the diesel to make it clean burning like the european vehicles.

diesel is in the future, but not untill the goverment will allow it.

source: bimmer magizine.

v581

Old 04-04-2005, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

didn't Kawasaki make a Mule with a diesel?

Originally posted by: ZimRaptor
i dunno who told u or what ur smoking but diesels DO NOT and i repeat DO NOT push more horse than gas powered cars...diesels are generally built high horsepower yes but thats because there meant to be used for ie. cemis
translation please?

if you are saying that diesels can't have more hp then a car, then you don't know diesels well [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Courtesy of the Dodge website: The Dodge Ram Heavy Duty Cummins Turbo is an inline 6 cylinder diesel engine that produces 610 pounds-feet of torque at 1,600 RPM and 325 horsepower at 2,900 RPM from 5.9 liters of displacement. With Common-Rail Direct Injection, this is one quiet diesel engine.
that's over 300hp. Go to the ford site and see how many hp the new Mustang has, or even the old Camaros.

Diesels don't rev high like gas engines, they are designed to put out more torque then hp. Most new trucks with turbo diesels put out ~600lb/ft of torque and half the horsepower. Usually waaaay down in the rpm range, like below 2000 rpm.

Old 04-04-2005, 12:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it possible, sure. Several manufacturers already have diesel offerings in the side by side class. There are two main reasons holding this type of engine back from atv use though. First, they are a very heavy engine that makes a lot of low end torque, but they don't like to rev out very high. Second, you really need to have some sort of turbo/supercharger to make good HP. That and the fact that diesels are costlier to produce in the first place would put any decent atv at a pricepoint disadvantage in comparison to current offerings. Personally, I think atvs are better suited to higher revving gas engines.

ZimRaptor, I know you are a one of our northern friends, but maybe you should do a little research into what runs the US military. We have several applications of very high horse diesels, the Abrahms being a primary example. Diesel fuel actually has more potential to make power than gas, yet is less volatile. If you could get a diesel to turn high RPMs like a gas motor, I would bet on the diesel to make more HP also.

Old 04-04-2005, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

Thats funny, i was seeing a diesal something (I can't remember what it was)on TV today and was thinking about dropping that into an ATV, then on the forums...wow. I'm sure it'd work but who would buy it diesal smells just as bad as 2strokes

Quick Reply: diesal atv's?? is it possible???