Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Tuning carbs sucks :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning carbs sucks :(

This is the PJ34s. Im now running 60 pilot, 155 main. Everything feels about perfect except for the bottom end will pop or backfire when coming down from a slight blip and it dosent always settle down to a perfect idle (about 50% of the time). Im pretty sure turning the screws in cuts off airflow and makes it richer but now im second guessing. I did have 58 pilot in and the needle on middle. Now I have 60 pilot and needle dropped one. It was perfect before on the bottom but rich in the middle. Now its pefect in the middle and lean on bottom. I could just sit and tinker with the air screw till it runs perfect, except I cant get to the right side at all unless the carbs are off (Can kinda knock it around with controtion and a long skinny screw driver.) I do know the screws are almost all the way in though, maybe 1 to 1.5 turns out. What should I do? take the carbs on and off 50 times till I get it perfect or find out I need bigger jets? or just go ahead and buy some even bigger pilots now? if so what size?
Im not familar with how much a pilot jet alone bump affects these carbs or these motors :/

On a side note, Im still amazed how much bottom end these motors have even with wild exhaust timing, drag pipes, and big carbs, and no compression (I said F-it and am running stock heads, prolly 115lbs). Whats wrong with the crack heads who say they dont have enough stock?