Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

IT FINALLY HAPPENED! 01 Raptor Gears went South...where the heck do I start?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IT FINALLY HAPPENED! 01 Raptor Gears went South...where the heck do I start?

First of all, I think it has lasted pretty long but to tell you the truth, I really haven't ridden it that much. You can tell by the bio pics that it doesn't look like an 01.

Here's what happened, I was at the local MX track coming on the down side of a double; I was in third in the air but downshifted to 2nd before I landed due to a u turn at the base. WHen I shifted it hit pretty hard and when I hit the ground it was lock up time. I was going over the bars, then was knocked right back to my seat from a motorcycle smacking me hard from the rear, then I flew over the berm and thats when we all rolled a couple of times. I'll be out of work for a little while but nothing too serious.

After further investigation I noticed a dime size hole in the left case about 2 inches behind the front sprocket going towards the center of the motor but in line with the shaft that the front sprocket is attached to. Man, friggin oil was everywhere.

SO,,,,,where do I start. First of all, should I file a complaint with the CPSC? Everyone with an 01 raptor around here does not have the original gears. Is there any way shape or form that I can get Yamaha to admit to this fault and get it taken care of through my dealer? If not, i just need some info from everyone?

Who has the best deal on the 02 gear set kit?
What else should I change while I am in the engine?
How much cash am I looking at?
Can I buy a single left side case or do I have to buy a matched set?
Do you recommend buying a case half on ebay if available?
WHy did this have to happen to me?
Is the Raptor tranny .com site pretty reliable?

If any of you have any info to help me, PLEASE REPLY, these forums are the best thing since sliced bread. THANK ALL OF YOU IN ADVANCE.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-17-2005, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default IT FINALLY HAPPENED! 01 Raptor Gears went South...where the heck do I start?

I wasn't coming off of a double downshifting but I was downshifting from 3rd to 2nd when mine took a crap also and locked up. Thankfully no motorcycle was behind me.

When I got my gearset replaced, I threw in a high compression piston, wished I would have thrown in a carrillo rod, added +2 inch a-arms and +4 inch durablue axle. If you are thinking about a new cam, it is time to add that. I should have had it ported and polished but was spending a decent amount with the a-arms and axle at that time. I forget how much it cost for the gearbox work alone.

I would buy a matched case set. High rpms, loads, and a precision geartrain.

It happened to you and a bunch of people, sorry to hear that. Sounds like you got banged up a bit too but thankfully not too serious.

I used raptortranny.com to replace my throwout bearing and it was super informative, excellent instructions and pictures. My experience with that site has been great. I didn't have the time or desire to tear apart the tranny so I left it to the pros. I did look at the instructions for the tranny and they were similar high quality instructions.

Good luck and let us know what you wind up adding to the Raptor.

Old 04-17-2005, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

look at my profile, i already have a rebuilt top end......thanks for the info dude.....

Old 04-17-2005, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

well you've got some money to spend i'll tell you that much. a ton of people are able to install the new gear, the 02 gears are around $699 i think, check out raptortranny.com for starters. while your in their put in a LA-one way. i would be worried about the dime size hole.

Old 04-17-2005, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

man youv'e got the best avatar (icon) yet.

Old 04-17-2005, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

OMFG....01 ALba tranny replacement link with price....ROFC....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-18-2005, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

no more help?????

Old 04-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who has the best deal on the 02 gear set kit? Craycraft

What else should I change while I am in the engine? I would replace ALL the shift forks, one or two are required so it's just a few more bucks. He also sells a DELUXE gasket and seal kit with every seal, o-ring, gasket, copper and aluminum washers and locking tab washers to do the whole engine.

How much cash am I looking at? I think with all that I mentioned it was around 525 or 550.

Can I buy a single left side case or do I have to buy a matched set? I'm pretty sure they're a matched set.

Do you recommend buying a case half on ebay if available? Ask Bob.

WHy did this have to happen to me? It's an 01. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Is the Raptor tranny .com site pretty reliable? They have some helpful advice.

Old 04-18-2005, 09:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

raptortranny.com

Old 04-18-2005, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: sixsixT
Who has the best deal on the 02 gear set kit? Craycraft

What else should I change while I am in the engine? I would replace ALL the shift forks, one or two are required so it's just a few more bucks. He also sells a DELUXE gasket and seal kit with every seal, o-ring, gasket, copper and aluminum washers and locking tab washers to do the whole engine.

How much cash am I looking at? I think with all that I mentioned it was around 525 or 550.

Can I buy a single left side case or do I have to buy a matched set? I'm pretty sure they're a matched set.

Do you recommend buying a case half on ebay if available? Ask Bob.

WHy did this have to happen to me? It's an 01. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Is the Raptor tranny .com site pretty reliable? They have some helpful advice.
six six T, you are the man; I will defenitely go this route. This is very helpful. If we ever cross paths I will lend you my girlfriend.

Quick Reply: IT FINALLY HAPPENED! 01 Raptor Gears went South...where the heck do I start?