Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor choking...Update... More Trouble!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2000, 06:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Well I got my Raptor back from 5 days at the dealer 0n friday night. They could not find anything wrong except they thought it might be a "Heat issue" on the fuel line or carb. The first thing out of my mouth was "Huh???" They had stuck a little piece of heat tape in the area closest to the engine after 5 days of having the machine. Well anyway I took them at thier word and loaded it up for a weekend of riding. About 20 miles into a forty mile leg of our ride the Craptor, as I am beginning to call it, quit and would not restart. In fact the starter would not even turn the engine! We tried to bump start the machine and even in 5th gear it would not turn the motor. All in all it appears to me that it seized up or something in the tranny siezed but that would not explain why it will roll in neutral or with the clutch in right? I guess monday its back to the dealer she goes. Thank god for warranties!

Old 10-01-2000, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

dang.......don't ya wish you waited till after the reliability of the raptor was proven.I'd just go ahead and call the head yamaha people and tell them what happened and also what your dealer done.

Old 10-02-2000, 04:56 PM
Trailblazer

Well I just got back from dropping my pride and joy off at the dealer AGAIN and just from what they could tell during the initial diagnosis my Raptor is seized up. Engine toast...They immediately checked my oil assuming I let it dry or something and found not only oil but other goodies. It looks like It will be at least a week if not more before I get to ride the Rat again. Thank god I still have the Banshee..at least I can still ride ; )

Old 10-02-2000, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

Are you starting to think that there is an alternative reason that the guy sold you the Raptor? Could he have known that he had done some serious damgage that would manifest itself sometime down the road? Just a though

Old 10-03-2000, 12:44 AM
Trailblazer

I would find that hard to believe... The thing still had nubs on the tires, not a scratch on it and was picked up the day before I purchased it and he gave me the original paperwork to back it up with. Think I just got a bum machine. According to the dealer it is one of the very first produced so that may explain the problem. At least they are giving me a whole new engine and even offered to loan me a warrior to ride until they have it done which they now figure will be about 2 weeks = (

Old 10-03-2000, 02:05 AM
Range Rover

hey grandpa,
I have a craptor too,there is a possibility that you are suffering the rath of my complaint to yamaha. the breather tube for the crankcase has no filter. after 15 hours or so,i had 76 ppm of silicon in the oil.they say that they designed it that way. mine has been in to the dealer twice and they dont care, hope mine blows up so maybe ill get a motor too. then ill put a filter on the breather.

Old 10-03-2000, 01:59 PM
Range Rover

zebratrailer....You say your bike has been back in twice? Is there a problem with the dirt in the oil(I am assuming thats what you mean by silicon)Can you be more specific as this is concern for us all however my warrior has the exact same breather set up and I have never had a single problem with it? Does the dealer say to put this filter on and do you think you have engine damage?

Old 10-03-2000, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

This is odd. If you take your finger and cover the crankcase vent tube, you'll see that it is just pulsing, not really sucking air. I'm pretty sure than on some of the motorcycles, maybe even the 426, the tube hangs down below the engine. The only issue I've heard of the tube actually being able to suck something up into it is when killing the motor just right while in the water, then starting it in water so that the pressure isn't equalized and some water is sucked into the engine.

I really can't understand why this tube would be sucking in dirt or sand. Once the motor and rings get wore really bad, then there may be blow-by going out, but no real reason for anything to be pulled into the vent tube as long as it is longer than the amount of air displaced by the pulse.

Does anyone understand what I'm saying?

Old 10-03-2000, 10:11 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah. Same thing happens on car engines. The oil heats up and releases any moisture/volatiles that are in the crankcase. My '72 (CA car) Chevelle used (..the previous owner removed the emissions stuff)a crankcase vent system that sucked air from the valvecover into the intake. Now it has filtered vents.

Unless the raptor has done something really new, it shouldn't be under vacuum. That said, putting the inlet in the airbox SHOULDN'T be too big a deal, especially since it isn't under vacuum. I need to look at mine more closely. However, for $6.5g's, I am going to see what kind of a cheesy filter media I can install - just in case.

Old 10-03-2000, 10:56 PM
Range Rover

GOT MY RAPTOR BACK TODAY,YAMAHA WONT DO ANYTHING AT THIS POINT,AND THEY SAID PUTTING A FILTER ON THE TUBE MAY VIOD THE WARRANTY. AS FOR THE TUBE THAT HANGS DOWN ON SOME BIKES, ITS DOWN NOT UP.
MY GUESS IS THAT ANYTHING THAT GOES BY THE TUBE ON THE SUCTION PULSE, IS PULLED IN AND FALLS DOWN THE TUBE. I HAD CINDERS(SAND)IN THE AIR BOX.IM GOING TO CHANGE THE OIL A COUPLE OF TIMES, AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS,STILL THINKING ABOUT A FILTER.

Quick Reply: Raptor choking...Update... More Trouble!