Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Im such a DUMBASS,Did I ruin my Raptor motor???

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2000, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just did my first oil change on my raptor and went riding in some new trails in N.H.Well there was this pretty big puddle that turned out to be a little deeper than I expected.When I was about half way through it was up to the exaust pipe and I almost made it out when all of a sudden the spider tracks just grabbed and I went up in a wheely so when I let off the trottle so not to flip over thats when it stalled.Well back on land the first thing i did was flipp the machine up and let the water out of the exaust.Then i tried to start it.With a push of the button all I got was a clunk.I new then I filled the jugg with water also.I pulled the plug out and cranked it until most of the water was out.Then it cranked and finally started.Well after riding for a while I kept on getting water in the air filter and I did not no where it was coming from.Then I noticed theres a hose coming from the crankcase to the air cleaner snorkal.I pulled the hose off and theres that white nasty water I was seeing in the air cleaner.I then pulled the oil dipstick out and my brand new mobile 1 oil now looked like choclate milk.What a great way to break in a moter,with watered down oil.Mann i am pissed.Well I had to drive the machine back 7 miles with that nasty oil in there,then I found a Walmart out there and did an oil change out in the parking lot.The machine seems to run as good as new now but my question is do you think I did damage to the engine while all of this happened.Im hoping after a few more oil changes that white milky stuff will go away.Any sugestions guys?

Old 10-01-2000, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

Raptor Owners are not having that good of luck! I feel sorry for you guys! If everything is working ok, then you should be alright. you probley should change it again to make sure you go all of it out.

Old 10-01-2000, 09:21 PM
Trailblazer

From what I remember, you're supposed to keep changing the oil til there's no more white in it.
Good luck

Old 10-01-2000, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I would get a gallon or two of diesel fuel to flush it out completely by pulling the plug lead & turning the engine over once or twice before before each flush. When you're satisfied that the water is gone, I would finish with another change of the oil you normally use, turn the engine over again to flush out the diesel and coat the piston rings, etc with oil, then drain & replace your oil. Some may think this is overkill but that's their opinion and it's your engine.

Old 10-01-2000, 09:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

No you didn't ruin your Raptor motor. But you should be sure you thoroughly "flush" the milky oil/water mixture out of the entire system including hoses. This usually takes more than one oil draining/re-filling. I had milky oil in my DS650, but the head was cracked. The dealer changed the oil twice but there was still some milky oil in the vent hoses.

Old 10-01-2000, 10:51 PM
Range Rover

keep changin it till theres no more

Old 10-01-2000, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer

I had that happen to my 400ex. I just kept changing the oil till the white was gone. THat is what my dealer told me to do. I have not had anymore problems. It took me about 3 or 4 changes. I just used cheap oil for the changing cause it was only in for 10 mins. I would run it for a little then change. Did it for a day

Old 10-02-2000, 01:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

you might whant to run ATF (automatic tranny fluid)works as a detergent and will also lubricate the engine. pour strait atf in let engine run till warm and flush,do many times as needed. ran in a baddly vanrished 1970 472 cadilac mtr. and after flushing a couple of times i can run engine and the oil is still like new.and also my friend runs both his alcohol and gas banshee's on strait ATF. if it has to hold up to pressure in a tranny why not a motor.

pirahna350twin,salem oregon

Old 10-02-2000, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

I WOULDN'T run synthetic until it was broken in. Then again, what are you doing running synthetic on a wet clutch bike? Then again AGAIN, what are you doing running a car oil in a bike?

Sorry, but maybe the title fits. If you didn't bend the rod by hydrolocking it, or wipe any bearings, you are VERY lucky. Next time WALK home and haul it home.

Just run it till it gets warm change it again, and run till hot. Moisture will vaporize when the oil tops 180* Use a bike oil like Spectro, Yamalube etc. that is made for your type of machine.

Old 10-02-2000, 05:48 AM
Pro Rider

Never run ATF in a four stroke... ATF is so much thicker that the oil pump will not pump it into all the small openings where it's needed. I would stick to standard 4 stroke motorcyle oil.

Quick Reply: Im such a DUMBASS,Did I ruin my Raptor motor???