Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

K&N FILTER OIL ON FOAM FILTER,

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N FILTER OIL ON FOAM FILTER,

i don't know where people are coming off on thin and runny, my filter doesn't even drip really after i apply it, all the oil is still there 400 miles later, and as mentioned before my carb is crystal clean, oil works fine for it all though it says not designed do what u guyz want, works well for me

Old 05-18-2005, 04:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I was wondering this too. I did some searching, and found a few articles on oiling filters. Here are a couple of them.
ct
uniflow
Note in both of these sites, it says to definetly NOT use the kn oil on foam filters. This comes from the manufacturer of the foam filters.
I havent found out the exact reason why,...either too runny, doesnt coat, doesnt stay, not sticky enough...anyone know the reason why?

Old 05-18-2005, 04:18 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Note in both of these sites, it says to definetly NOT use the k&n oil on foam filters. This comes from the manufacturer of the foam filters.

Exactly, the manufacturers want you to buy their foam oil. As long as you can yun your finger across your filter and it be wet(from oil of course), it will be fine. I ride in reallly dusty conditions a lot and my intake and carb are spotless as well.

Old 05-18-2005, 05:19 PM
Range Rover

i would do it if you think about it
K&N oil is not very tacky
on the other hand foam filter oil is very tacky
i have never touched a K&N filter and had their oil stick on my finger and make a string
but you cant touch a well oiled foam filter without it tacking to your finger
i only use bel ray foam filter oil it is extremely tacky
i just dont believe that the spray on stuff penetrates like soaking and squeezing it out does
just my opinion but i KNOW it works well and i am not risking anything
But if you are lazy and want to take the easy way out PJ1 makes an aerosol foam filter oil and foam filter cleaner but i have heard from many dealerships and individuals around here that that stuff is not good at all
everyone suggested the belray stuff and i have been very pleased with it
you should try it and i am sure you will see the difference i am talking about

there is one kind out there that i dont like and that is the no-toil stuff. it can be cleaned up with soap and water whitch is nice but it never seems to get tacky like the belray stuff

but that is just my opinion and we all know what opinions are like

Old 05-18-2005, 06:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: motox26
Note in both of these sites, it says to definetly NOT use the k&n oil on foam filters. This comes from the manufacturer of the foam filters.

Exactly, the manufacturers want you to buy their foam oil. As long as you can yun your finger across your filter and it be wet(from oil of course), it will be fine. I ride in reallly dusty conditions a lot and my intake and carb are spotless as well.
Well....not exactly. Neither site said to use their brand of filter oil. They just specified a type of oil, not a brand name. They dont care whos oil you use, as long as it meets their specs.
Ive heard that the kn oil, has solvents, which helps with dispersal in a cotton filter, but will disolve the foam . The products are designed to work with specific materials, one works with cotton fibers, and the other works with rubber foam.