Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Oil Level Readings Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 07:50 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Oil Level Readings Please Help

Hey guys i have some questions on this. This is a really frustrating experience with this raptor, i keep getting different readings from the oil stick and im not sure which is accurate. Without starting it for the day, i check it, the level reads right below the E. If i let it run for about 3-5 minutes or so, i turn it off and check and its right about the same, right below the E. However, if the bike runs for a little while, say 25 minutes or so, and i check it, the oil reading is about a half inch ABOVE the FULL mark on the stick. After that forget it because it reads all kinds of different readings so just need to know. I am really frustrated with this and would just like your help with it. What is the absolute most accurate time to take a reading on the oil level? I dont want too much in there to blow the oil pump, and i dont want to run too low to screw anything up. Is it best to just take the 2-3 minute reading? Obviously the oil is going to expand so the more i leave it run, the higher its going to go, so i just want to know the absolute most accurate way. Maybe the best way is just to take it when cold? Let me know please!!

Old 05-22-2005, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

From the service manual.......the best way to check the oil is to start the quad and warm it up to operating temperature. Remove the dipstick, wipe it off, and insert it back into the tank WITHOUT screwing it back in. Just set it in, pull it back out, and that is your actual oil level....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Checking it during riding, after riding, or when the Raptor is cold, isn't gonna give the best reading.....I've checked mine the way the manual suggests, and its the same every time...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-22-2005, 11:42 PM
Range Rover

thanks for a response. the subjective aspect of this is the warm up time. how long do you let it warm up before you check? i know what the manual says but they arent even right with the amount of oil let alone the reading, so how long do you let it sit and warm up before checking? i know this might seem a little **** but i want to be exact with all of this.

Old 05-23-2005, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

Nothing **** about your questions...your like me, I like taking extra good care of my quads. It helps you get from point A to point B and back again without worries....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I let mine warm up for around 5 minutes, and get the same reading everytime...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]