Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFZ parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 02:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ parking brake

ive had my YFZ since x-mas and ive had to tighten the parking brake at least 5 times. i just tighten the bolt on the side of the caliper. i was just wonderin if anyone eles was having the same prob and how i can fix it. thanx[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-30-2005, 03:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure how to fix it, but I have the same problem. I'm wondering if a higher quality brake pad might reduce the time between adjustments?

Old 05-30-2005, 04:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

just take it off

Old 05-30-2005, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

I have yet to see a parking brake on ANY atv that didn't need to be adjusted on a regular basis. I can tell you this much though, the parking brake on the YFZ is the best design I have seen to date. Very easy to adjust and use.

As for taking it off. All of my riding buddies have taken theirs off. They poke at me for leaving mine on. We do A LOT of trail riding. I don't have to worry about parking mine sideways on a trail when I get off of it so it won't roll down the hill. It's more secure when I transport it. AND it's easier to do maintenance on the rear end when I don't want the axle to turn so I can tighten or loosen something.

Here's another one for ya. We took a trip to Texas in February of this year. We had six quads on a open sided flat bed trailer. Mine got the good fortune of being on the rear. All of these quads were tied down to the hilt with 3" tie down straps. Each one was double and triple checked prior to leaving. While going through OKC at about 80 mph we noticed something weird in the rear view mirror. One of the tie down ends was making sparks on the road. We pulled over to check it out. My baby had managed to work loose. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Couldn't believe my eyes. The front tire was on the interstate rolling parallel to the trailer at 80 mph while the rest of the quad remained on the trailer not letting go. What kept it from coming all the way off????? The parking brake that everyone made fun of me for keeping.

Buck

Old 05-30-2005, 10:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WHen properly adjusted, that YFZ parking brake is swweeeeettt!! Normally I would take it off and just put a blockoff plate on it, but it works so well and like stated above, is one more piece of security when loaded and such.

Old 05-30-2005, 10:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

That pretty much happens to everyone, i got tired of it so i took it off and blocked it off at the rear caliper. You loose a little weight and how often o you even use it? I don't miss it at all....

Old 05-30-2005, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ljtbmoc
That pretty much happens to everyone, i got tired of it so i took it off and blocked it off at the rear caliper. You loose a little weight and how often o you even use it? I don't miss it at all....
I use it about ten times every time I ride it.

Buck

Trending Topics

Old 05-31-2005, 03:34 PM
Range Rover

nice story buck.
i like to have mine for the security too even though my pals are always buggin me about takin it off also. i guess ill just have to live with ajusting it all the time.
thanx for the help.

Old 05-31-2005, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

u have to adjust it so often is because as you ride your brake pads get worn so u have to adjust the parkingbreak so the pads can reach the break caliber again

Old 05-31-2005, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: YamiYFZ
nice story buck.
i like to have mine for the security too even though my pals are always buggin me about takin it off also. i guess ill just have to live with ajusting it all the time.
thanx for the help.

It's one of the easiest parking brakes I know of to adjust. I can live with it myself. FYI...I have had mine since August of last year and I've only had to adjust it three times. I use my front brakes A LOT more than I do my rear brakes though.

Either way my brake is adjusted very tight in case I need it.

Buck

Quick Reply: YFZ parking brake