Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Axle and 12 tooth questions. HELP me out.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle and 12 tooth questions. HELP me out.

Ok, I got a raptor 660. I got used to the tipsiness but I want to get rid of it so I can corner better. I figured a 2+2 axle would do the job.

Do all axles come with the adjustable 1+1 or 2+2?
How much of an up is the 2+2 compared to 1+1?
I was thinking about a lonestar axcaliber but is the anything else thats good, but cheaper than the Axc.
When installing... is this what you do. take off the sprocket, rotor, and both hubs, undue the allen screw in the locknut, then get a bigass wrench and pop it open. Slide to the right...?

Then to install new.. Put the axle through reinstall the everything. in the same place as on the old axle. Then use the lock and retighten the hell out of it and then lock it with the screws.

I was told that its good to get a new lock nut...? Anyone know about this?? Also what brand/kind. And how much do they run.

12 tooth.
Any specific brands or metals that you recommend?
To install, take the case saver off, get i think its a 22 or 23mm socket, a pipe and ratchet or big breaker bar, pop it open, slide the old one off.. and the chain should come off with it, then put the new one on, feed the chain on, and retighten.. I think its 125 lbs/ft on a torque wrench or is it more?

If you guys could help me out that would be cool...

MIke.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:06 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

for axles i have had good luck with the Axcaliburs. I have broken a few durablues. might wanna look at the Gforce axles at RMATV. they cost a bit less.

Id suggest breaking the axlenut and Countershaft Nut loose before you pull the hubs off. leave your tires on your hubs aswell as thats only 1 nut instead of 5. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] after you spin the axlenut off your old axle should just slide out. I bent a stock axle so bad one time i had the cut it off to get it out and another time the bearings was seized to the axle. but theoretically it should just slide out to the left.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

Ok... I have heard a lot about the axc. Will it hold up to some decent jumping..?

Oh and whats this with there being C clips on the axle, how does that work.

MIke.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:11 PM
Range Rover

For the sprocket...my nut wasn't on there to tight, all i had to do was get a decent size breaker bar and i pushed hard on it, and it literally fell off and i almost smashed my hands against the pegs. I got a JT one because my 13 tooth stocker shredded and i wanted to try a 12. It cost 10 bucks at my local powersports store. After you put it on, you can usually just put tha chain over it, but you probably will have to cut/take links outa your chain, maybe 1 or 2. Any more questions or anything of the sorts, just ask.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: PolishCowboyPL
Ok... I have heard a lot about the axc. Will it hold up to some decent jumping..?

Oh and whats this with there being C clips on the axle, how does that work.

MIke.
There are no C clips on the raptor axle. Just on honda's

Old 05-31-2005, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

[i] After you put it on, you can usually just put tha chain over it, but you probably will have to cut/take links outa your chain, maybe 1 or 2. .
i cant really chime in on the axle, as i still have stock, but you dont take any links out of the stock chain, you simply adjust it to get rid of the slack. For that procedure look in your owners manual

Old 05-31-2005, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

I think I got the installation processes down, do you think I will need new lock nut and counter nut?

I'm pretty sure they are interchangable, but will they not go loose because they have already been used.

MIke.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:43 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Originally posted by: PolishCowboyPL
I think I got the installation processes down, do you think I will need new lock nut and counter nut?

I'm pretty sure they are interchangable, but will they not go loose because they have already been used.

MIke.
Your stock nuts will be used. and if they are not used the axle manufacturer will provide the neccesary nut.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

I just called lonestar racing and they said it comes with nuts to install your hubs? Does that make sense? I thought when you buy an axle you only get the axle and then the nuts you either buy sperately or use the same.

By the way, can you buy a new counter nut?? Because I can't find any I can only find locking nuts.

MIke.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:58 PM
Range Rover

I have also been considering a new axle for my 04 Raptor. Can someone explain what 1+1 and 2+2 mean? I've heard of adjustable axles, you can adjust the width of the axle, is that right? How? How do you do it, how does it work, and how durable is it. Thanks for your help.

-Brandon

Quick Reply: Axle and 12 tooth questions. HELP me out.