Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

better wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default better wheelie

or you can be like me and slap it up in 5th for 3 miles :-D
Im calling BS on this one, no offense speedy, but 5th gear wheelie on a warrior is nearly impossible and to go straight for 3 miles your tires would need to be almost perfectly pressured to run her straight.

i could be wrong but i dont believe it.

Old 06-30-2005, 12:02 AM
Range Rover
Default better wheelie

Candidly, that's what I was thinking too.

Old 07-06-2005, 05:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default better wheelie

Originally posted by: TexasRaptor
To truly "ride" a wheelie, you only need to be in 1rst or 2nd gear...and you don't need to be going fast.

In fact, you can start out in either gear with the trick being...do not use your throttle to control the attitude of the quad, but use the rear brake.

You look at all good "wheelie" riders, they use a combination of rear break and clutch. Once the clutch is let out all they way and the front of the quad is up in the air at the point where it's almost too high up, you control your speed and actually wheelie with the rear brake.

Practice on sand or a somewhat soft surface. Once you get the hang of it....you will be able to ride around all day long on your two rear wheels.

Good luck!!!

This is how all of the people i ride with do there wheelies. It works so well. Also the way you through your weight helps alot.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:30 AM
Range Rover
Default better wheelie

I do a lot of my riding over at Steelhorse MX, between Seguin and S.A..

Maybe I'll see you around?

Old 07-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default better wheelie

TexasRaptor has it right, using my clutch, brake, and throttle correctly i can keep a wheelie going for as long as i could possibly want or until i run out of room. personally i think slow wheelies are funner and more of a challenge, try keeping the front wheels off the ground for 2-3mins. while only moving no more than 3yrds. i find it way more challenging than just pulling the quad up in 5 or 6 gear and riding it out.

speedy2222 start with a first gear wheelie work it up to sixth gear and ride that out for three miles. anyone can sit their fat a** back on the seat and nail the throttle.

Old 07-08-2005, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default better wheelie

i just ride the clutch and give no gas untill its almost gna die, then gun the gas and let the clutch out and it coems right up! this works for me until like 3rd gear.. then 4th and 5th its kinda hard.. but the owner before me did it with ease.

Old 07-08-2005, 05:16 PM
Range Rover
Default better wheelie

Start in first, at just about idleing speed or alittle more, pop the throttle to get the front up then try to ballance it a little ,all the while you need to be matciculously working the throttle to keep it up but not too much or too little... then I like to shift into second, do the same thing, then third, then fourth and sometimes 5th, but I must warn you, pullin a wheely that fast its easy to get blown over backwards fron the wind coming head on, keep your foot ready for the foot brake...oh yea...and practice a lot, doesn't matter how you do it, practice practice practice, and you'll get it, also alittle less tire pressure can make it easier to hold a wheelie as long as the pressures are balanced. - peace

Old 07-08-2005, 09:14 PM
Range Rover
Default better wheelie

When I do my wheelie, depending on how much room I have I will start in second gear and if i dont have much room I'll pop the cluth and ride it alittle ways but if I have enough room I'll make sure my rpm's are in the powerband and just gas it and pull up then shift into 3rd and 4th. Like the other guy said sometimes I get it into 5th but going that fast in a wheelie is pretty hard to control espeically how fast you are going and how high your rpm's are. I also dont hold the gas the whole time.....while im in a wheelie I usually tap it and let off until i get into higher rpm's then shift. This I think helps me control the wheelie more because I don't just go straight up and flip off the back.

Old 07-08-2005, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default better wheelie

how do you shift when u do your wheelies????

Old 07-08-2005, 11:09 PM
Range Rover
Default better wheelie

yeah i was just about to ask that when ever i pop the the clutch and try to shift into second it wont go up into second

Quick Reply: better wheelie