Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

air intake help for 660 grizzly

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air intake help for 660 grizzly

im in WV,so we cross alot of creeks and streams,,,,,all of the after market air systems claims of increased HP are based on the ability to remove the breather box lid,,,how can i increase air flow while leaving the air box lid on,,,,,i spoke with a online store about this,and they said buying the air pro setup would be a waste of money if i plan on leaving the lid on

i looked on past threads before posting but couldnt find a answer,but did find some others that were quite helpful,,,,this forum is great!!!!

any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated,,,,,,also that smell didnt come from me

Old 06-30-2005, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

will i get any HP gain by using a pro flow K&N air filter system,while still using the air box lid?

Old 06-30-2005, 02:29 AM
Pro Rider

the K&N will free up some HP and increase airflow, but the pro-flow kit comes with a billit adapter, which is useless if you leave the lid on. Is their anything inside your snorkel? Like on raptors theirs flaps that you can cut out to increase flow.

Old 06-30-2005, 05:44 AM
Pro Rider

Power gain is directly related to air flow. You can put a less restrictive pipe on, but you really won't see the maximum effect unless you get more air into your motor. You can do a couple different things to get more air in.

Install either a K&N or a foam filter with the filter adaptor and remove the lid all together. There is a risk of getting more stuff in your airbox.

If you don't want to go with the filter and adaptor, you can cut holes in your airbox lid. Dennis Kirk has 1" round foam filters that go in these holes.

There is a filter skin where you cut the top off your airbox and install this skin. This gives you almost as much airflow as no airbox lid, but it keeps a lot of junk from reaching your filter. I know you can find these on Ebay.

Just remember, if you let more air into your motor you will need to increase the fuel flow as well by re-jetting the carb.

Old 06-30-2005, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

thanx for your help,,,it was greatly apreciated

i really do not want to remove the air box lid for fear of water when crossing,or riding down creeks,and streams

so i think the filter skin would also be a water issue,as well as the 1" holes in the side of the air box

i will look for the flap in the snorkle,though,,,,i didnt know about that,,,,,good tip

im trying to think of a way to "force" air in by way of a fan,,,but one problem i can already see that may come up is consistancy in air flow as far as air to fuel mixture

im thinking of buying a 350 raptor,,,something i can do a little playing on (like mud slinging fights,wheelys,doughnuts,and such),so maybe i will wait until i get the second bike to play with this idea of a forced air by fan,,,so im going to get the pro air set and jet kit ahead of time so all i have to do is fabricate the the air induction part,,,,,i think this will give me the best of both worlds,the ability to run deep water,with the HP gain

the grizz is awsome stock,,,i always had Polaris,and this is my first Yamaha,and im SOLD!!!,,my buddy has a 700 Sportsman,and i flat out eat him up off the line,but he has a better top end,,,,ive had my grizz up to 67 MPH on the road,but when that 700 gets wound up he catchs me

the only complaints i have about the Grizz,is the "cheezy" front bumper (that a stone that got kicked up bent the first month i had it),and the cheap plastic bash plates,,,,some one dropped the ball in both these areas