Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak Jet Kit? Newbie jet kit question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 11:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak Jet Kit? Newbit jet kit question.

Hello all.

This is the first post for me to this forum. I have a '05 Kodiak 450 and would like to wake it up a bit.

At first a considered a clutch kit, but I don't want to take away from top end, or make it jumpy or hard to modulate when the going gets rough.

I briefly considered a pipe. No go there. The machine is plenty loud enough already for my intended usage. No sense pi$$ing off the anti-ATV crowd any more than is unavoidable.

An air filter, I believe, would just result in minmal gains.

How about a jet kit? How well do these kits work? What can I expect as far as results? Are they worthwhile, or are they a tuning nightmare? I'm looking for info on results and experiences rather than the party lines that come from the jet kit manufacturers.

Are the power increases noticeable? Do they affect top end much? I'd like to beef up acceleration, and power over 30 MPH or so. (My Kodiak accelerates well to about 35, then slowly creeps up to its top speed of 49-53 MPH)

Any other mods I should consider? I am most intersted in experiences regarding jet kits.

Thanks,
John

Old 07-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak Jet Kit? Newbit jet kit question.

i know the feeling. I installed 26 Mud lites and ITP wheels. I love my bike but the power is questionable. I just installed a QS1 pipe because a friend installed one on his 2004 and did not rejet and pipe up some power. So I tried it and it seems to help so and sound good not that loud pipe sound. Next I'll try the EPI clutch kit. Everyone seems to back them and it helps Acc. and bottom end power. But like you I'm unsure of all this to. Good luck