Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Would this stop you?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would this stop you?

I am having trouble with ATV riders cutting through barriers on a remote area on my hunting lease. I would like to know if you think you would be able to get past this barrier. (assume that going around the end is not possible, and that you were the type that would trespass to ride.)

My idea is to lay 55 gallon drums on their side across the trail. Then tie the drums together with heavy wire if not weld them together. Stake them in place with "t" posts from Tractor Supply and finally run a strand of barbed wire across the top.

My theroy is that the barrels will be to high to drive over and too difficult to pull out with them all tied together. Additional dirt or rocks could be added for even more holding power.

Thanks

Old 07-15-2005, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

the barrels alone wouldnt stop me but the barbed wire most likely would but that could seriously injure someone and i wouldnt recomend the barbed wire and a simple fence of some kind would probaly do the trick

Old 07-15-2005, 12:15 PM
Trailblazer

I agree, even though somebody is trespassing on your land you wouldn't want to injure them or worse, kill them. If somebody were riding at night and didnt know that stuff was there................Just like stormj said a fence or something like that would work fine...Then if the person(s) were to tear your fence down just to ride i would watch like a hawk and find out who it was......Is there signs out that say consequences(sp?) and no trespassing??

Old 07-15-2005, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

A guy around me was decapitated while snowmobiling a tree hugger put cord across a trail and someone else got there neck splised right open from a tree branch so barbed wire across would be a bad idea you could just wrap your barrels in razer wire it would stop anyone from trying to move them.

Old 07-15-2005, 01:20 PM
Trailblazer

I guess I should have better explained my plan. The barbed wire would be on the posts sticking up out of the barrels. I would leave only about 6 inches or so of room between the barrel and wire. I would also make them and make sure that there are plenty of signs out. My thinking is that if anyone were to not see it and ride into it, they would hit the barrels first. The wire would also discourage someone from trying to go over them.

These guys have used a chainsaw to cut out trees that we fell onto the trail. They wouldn't hesitate to cut a simple fence out.

Old 07-15-2005, 02:41 PM
Trailblazer

If you have no trespassing signs and you have told them not to ride on your land... go with the barbed wire and just make sure you put plenty of orange flags on the wireto make it noticable. If they do not respect the no trespassing signs or your instructions to stay off, then they deserve to get hurt for not listening. Do what you have to do to protect your land!!!! Your the owner!

Old 07-15-2005, 02:45 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Not sure how much you want/have to spend, but you could always try using wire rope (cable) instead of barbed wire. There's less chance of someone getting stuck BY it.

The barrels sound like a good idea.

The reason for the cable is they are going to need something pretty heavy duty to cut it. I'm not talking small wire rope. But then I would mark it so it's VERY visible. 1 way is to use some kind of a reflective tape. Like what you see on semi trailers. Wrap it so it's visible from both sides of the cable. This way it's visible at night. You could also do the same thing on the barrels, or use some kind of reflective paint.

The wire rope will probably take something heavier than a t-post to hold it up. But some galvanized water pipe would propably work well. Set them in concrete, and you can also make them removable by using a slightly larger pipe set into the concrete. You could also tie some bright marking tape to the cable along it's length.. Not sure what it's called exactly. But it comes in pink, orange and yellow. About 1" wide. Look for it in construction supplies. Generally near the caution tape. They use it to mark various things (rebar, edges of buildings (so people don't fall off)).

Make sure that's it's also posted for private property and no tresspassing. You want everything completely visible so it doesn't result, or is easier to defend, if some jack @ss hurts themselves trying to get across it.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 07-15-2005, 02:54 PM
Range Rover

You should get one of those hunting cameras and put it on a tree close to where these guys come onto your property that way you know what they look like and if you ever see them riding around somewhere else you know it was them lol

Old 07-15-2005, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

hey man, you could go to pepboys to get all your no-tresspassing needs, like a cement mixer to fill up the barrels, a security camera to tape when they come through, a welder to weld them together, reflective tape, but hey, i don't think there gonna sell you any kind of car parts anymore if you break down while driving to this hunting area, they don't do that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img].

the best remedy i found, is to outride them, just be faster. I chase blasters off my 160 acres all the time...its pretty fun, they allmost peepee their pants, and then, if you really want to be spitefull, call the police. if they don't do anything the 1st few times, they'll get tired of you complaining and calling, then they'll nail em' good. do everything to make sure these people do NOT get hurt on your property.

Old 07-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Trailblazer

i say bob wire the whole dam thing it's ur land hahah if some one tress passes and gets hurt it's their own fault [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] for comin on ur land

Quick Reply: Would this stop you?