Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I need help ASAP from someone who knows everything about Banshee engines

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 08:30 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help ASAP from someone who knows everything about Banshee engines

I was out for a spin yesterday on the banshee when I got into a little predicament. My clutch decided it wasn't going to engage all of a sudden. Took it apart tonight and it turns out that the shaft that goes into the motor from the top (left side of the motor) is chewed up. The bearing that it runs in is shot. I guess my question that I need to know is, the rod and bearing that pushes out on the clutch plate.......is that isolated from the transmission? I'd really like it if i didn't have to take the entire engine apart and just be able to replace that bearing, shaft and seal. When I drained the oil it was dark and didn't seem gritty or anything, but I'm hoping that bearing letting go didn't do anthing else to the engine. If anyone can help out ASAP I would really appreciate it because I'd like to order the parts tomorrow so I can have them for the weekend. Thanks in advance.

P.S. How in the world do I get that bearing out of the case?????

Old 07-25-2005, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default I need help ASAP from someone who knows everything about Banshee engines

If you are talking about the pushrod and steel ball, then yes they can be removed without taking the engine apart... Remove the clutch cover and pressure plate... Then you can remove the pushrod and steel ball....

Old 07-25-2005, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BIG_RED

P.S. How in the world do I get that bearing out of the case?????
A small magnet... You can get one at an auto parts store.... Or tip it on its side and shake the hell out of it...

Old 07-25-2005, 11:37 PM
Range Rover

I'm terribly sorry enforcer, I got all in a big panic and I didn't explain myself as clearly as I should have lol. The pushrod and the steel ball are the least of my concerns right now, those slide nicely and are giving me no problems whatsoever. The part that I am talking about are the shaft (push lever assembly) that your clutch cable hooks on and it actuates the pushrod and steel ball. There is a needle type bearing that this shaft slides down into, which is toast, and a seal on top of it, then a washer. Right now I am having trouble getting that needle type bearing out of my case. Thank you again, I really do appreciate your help!

Old 07-25-2005, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

No problem, you can replace this as well without splitting the cases...
To replace the needle bearing, you will need to remove the old one with a suitable pilot bearing remover...
You will damage the old bearing no matter what you use, but make sure you don't damage the cases... Buy a new bearing. Clean the bore with solvent. Then aline the new bearing so that the manufacturer's marks and size code face up.Now press the bearing into the case until it bottoms out...

Old 07-26-2005, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once again,Enforcer saves the day.I still remember the day you and your friend helped me at St.Joe.I later checked the clutches.They need replacing pretty bad,but at least I got to finish the day of riding.

Old 07-26-2005, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Just to add to enforcers post, When you get the new bearing, through it in the freezer for a couple hours. It will go in much easier.