Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFZ-450 Just for racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005 | 10:16 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default YFZ-450 Just for racing

I have quick question for you guys about one month ago I bought a 04 Yamaha YFZ-450 because I wanted to either race hare scrambles or MX but when I rode at my first MX track I trided to take a huge double and no one told me the track was designed for dirt bikes and not sport qauds so I landed on top of the second jump and broke my left wrist and fractuerd my right I just got my cast cut of today and rode the YFZ-450 again today lucky there was no damage what so ever to the qaud. Right now Im consedering whether to race hare scrambles and never race MX again or just stay the F*ck away from racing sport qauds. If I dont ever race again Ill probally Keep the YFZ-450, 25 acres of land comes in handy sometimes LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. And even if I do get ride of the YFZ-450(though I probally never will) my Dad has work horse grizzly we love to ride. Im wondering if the YFZ-450 was mostly for hare scrambles and MX races and not really for riding trails and just riping around in feilds. Of coarse I never ride my YFZ slow(ive heard its hard on the engine) I still burn my right leg from the header every time I ride it and because you have to be standing up most of the time you to absorb the bumps unless your in first gear.
Also you have to let the bike warm up for five minutes every time you go out and ride. Last theirs the fact of no reverse which unless your inteending on mud boigng the bike, riding up large streams of water or just riding trails that only a grizzly can get through using reverse you probally wont need reverse who wants to be caked from head to toe in the pants under the shirt and in the hair with mud.
Once again I would greatly appricate your feadback on this subject.ASAP(as soon as possible)

Old 07-26-2005 | 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

you can set it up for anything you want(well, i wouldn't pull anything with it) plenty of people run this in the woods, you ever hear of gncc? I have never heard that its hard on the engine if you don't ride it hard, thats a new one to me. Granted, you should put it through its paces every once in w while. For the type of riding you seem to be doing(recreational and maybe some hairscrambles, correct?) that quad should be fine.

Old 07-27-2005 | 01:56 AM
Range Rover

i ride on trails, knarly hills and jump the **** out of it, i havent found much that will slow the yfz down.
as far as the warming up issue you have, any thing with a engine should be let to warm up
this isnt just for the yfz