Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help! Injured Wolverine....

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 01:20 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Injured Wolverine....

Damn, damn, damn....I have an 04 wolverine and an 05 raptor 660. I ride the raptor more and so i pretty gave the Wolvy to my 18 yo careless younger brother. Well. after about a month of him riding or should I say ******* it before I even noticed anything wrong (since I never rode the damn thing) the engine is screwed up. Finally got it out of him of what happened and he said when he was riding it pegged out in fifth gear ( probably held it there for god knows how long) it backfired and died on him and when he stopped he said it poured an *** load of smoke from under the seat so much he thought it was gonna burn to the ground. Thankfully it didn't but after me inspecting it, when cranked, and will fire up, it knocks very loud from , I believe, the cylinder head , but I'm not sure and it smokes bad. Checked the engine oil and there was none. PLEASE HELP. If anyone knows what this might be let me know. Can I fix this myself or does this sound very bad? Put in shop? It's still under the factory extened warranty, should I even try that?

Old 07-27-2005, 01:38 AM
Trailblazer

Information from an atv mechanic would be extremely helpful.

Old 07-27-2005, 03:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

if it was me id take it to the dealer and try the warranty but theyll probly just say something like operator error or something to that effect. worth a shot though

Old 07-27-2005, 04:08 AM
Pro Rider

IF I WAS TO GUESS I WOULD SAY DROPPED A RING OR 2 OR YA HAVE SOME BURNT OR WARPED VALVES!!!

Old 07-27-2005, 08:42 AM
Trailblazer

I am no mechanic but I have worked on plenty of quads. While I don' t think this is fatal to your bike, I would say that it should be in ICU for a while. Just a guess with no oil and smoking (That's probably where your oil is going) but oil is getting into the combustion chamber somehow. Rings would be a good cause. IF there was major damage to the piston, you wouldn't get any compression so it wouldn't run. If a valve had major damage, there againg no compression. I would say about any way you go, there is going to be major engine work in your future. If you feel comfortable, pull the head and see what is there. That may be able to tell you tons about the problem. Good luck and I would make you brother pay for it all. But that is just me being an A*S!!

Old 07-27-2005, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

a knocking sound? either a bent rod or a bent valve.(that normally means a top end overhaul) There is no way of telling unless you get into it. Easy fix for someone who works on motors, but expencive for someone who doesn't