Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee Advice...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 05:15 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee Advice...

Hey dudes, I'm new to the forums and I need some advice. I'm not new to ATVs, I've been riding them all my life, personally ut I've never owned a sports ATV, only a small Suzuki 160, but have plenty of friends with sports ATVs and I've been riding their ATVs for years. A few days ago I came across an ad selling a '01 Banshee, it has some mods, pipe, fmf exhaust, aftermarket rear axle, nerf bars, race tires and rims, aftermarket handle bar and it includes trailer for $3000 which is quite cheap for a Banshee in Nicaragua.

I haven't seen it yet, but from the pics it looks good, I know taking a look at it is the first step, but still I have some doubts, I spoke to the guy selling it and he told me that he raced it in MX one season, but says he always took care of it, usual check ups and had a mechanic look at it all the time. He says everything is fine with it, engine is perfect, etc... he's selling it because he need money to pay a waverunner and to repair his car. I have the feeling he took care of the bike because it is his only bike and he was an independent racer without sponsors or anything in Nicaragua where MX isn't really big at all and doesn't get a lot of sponors.

I will go and take a look at it personally this saturday, what should I look for when inspecting it? If it looks good then I'll take another look at it with a mechanic for a professional opinion

I will not race it, I will mostly do trail riding, beach riding, and some volcanic hard sand riding. I would probably ride it one or two times a week, depending on my work/study situation. I love speed, I love sliding, I love aggressive riding.

So here's the question, what do you guys think (based on my needs) of buying a MX used ATV, even if he only raced it for one season??? Also is it true that the Banshees are high maintenance and brake down often? please compare the maintenance to any other 2-stroke, say a Blaster maybe? and is it too expensive to maintain?

THANKS!

Old 08-11-2005, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

I own a 01 Shee and I don't have much trouble with it, Mainly just Plugs and Carb adjustments, My Opinion is that if you take care (Regular Maintance) Of your Ride it will give you Lots of Good Times.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-11-2005, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a good deal...... But you won't know till you see it...... Look it over good. Push down on the front and rear and see how the rebound is on the suspension.... Pull on the A-arms and check for play....
Sit on it and rock from side to side and look at the axle housing... Look at the front and rear sprokets.... If you can, take something and put it under the frame and get the rear end off the ground... Now see if you can move it from side to side....
Chances are pretty good you are going to find some "ware and tare".... Use this info to get him to drop his price!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-11-2005, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

enForcer is Wise[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]