Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Best mods for the 700r?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best mods for the 700r?

Yeah so i just picked up a nice white little beauty of a 700r and the thing rips. My buddy just bought a yfz450 though so now I have to compete with him for everything. I know I can smoke him on the trails. It's actually a little pathetic watching him struggle on the rocky hills but in the flats he is fast....but not fast enough. I'm with him in for inch all the time and I bail on him everywhere else. Still, every ignorant sac that we ride with talks his bike up like it some sort of god and doesn't give my 700r the proper respect it deserves. Well the hell with that noise. People will learn soon enough! For now it's time to mod the 700r and leave them crying.

What are the best mods out for the 700r? What are they making for EFI Mods? How about the best exhaust? Throw me a bone so i can beat him with it.

Old 08-31-2005, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, you seem sure of yourself. Don't be upset when the modded YFZ's crawl all over you. Also, if your buddy can't keep up with you on the trails he need to learn to ride lol! I have no problems beating those 700r's with my YFZ and after riding a 700 all weekend I don't think the power is improved as much as some people would like to think, but I must admit the handling is freakin MUCH improved!

Try the free mods first and see how you like it, remove the baffle and filter lid. As of now their arn't to many mods released for the 700 and I know their arn't any EFI mods. I would assume that the old 660 aftermarket exhaust systems should still fit fine. Also, try changing your gearing around.

Old 08-31-2005, 05:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey I'm not trying to say I'm faster. I know about the 450's reputation for being fast. I'm sure that a 450 can whup my *** in a straight line but i was holding with him most of the time. You know how buddies get competative. I'm just saying that the 700 is not the 660 of old, even though it carries the Raptor name, and it shouldn't be regaurded as one. I will say that the 700r seems to do better crawling because of it's low gearing. Just my opinion.

So you mentioned changing the gearing. I'm haven't done any of that. How hard is it?

Old 08-31-2005, 06:09 PM
Range Rover

There are two efi mods the powercomander and the tfi from dotek. I dont no if that right in spelling so sorry. But ya i ordered the powercomander last week n should get it this week or next cause i live in canada. First try the freemods i say dont go out and by the hmf pipe wait for others to pop up and the choose the right pipe. Do free mods then power comander i say. Then go get some tires and wheels i guess thats what im doing so really its up to you but I say as for pacific mods for the 700r wait tell you can have options and go from there.

Old 08-31-2005, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Raptor700R
There are two efi mods the powercomander and the tfi from dotek. I dont no if that right in spelling so sorry. But ya i ordered the powercomander last week n should get it this week or next cause i live in canada. First try the freemods i say dont go out and by the hmf pipe wait for others to pop up and the choose the right pipe. Do free mods then power comander i say. Then go get some tires and wheels i guess thats what im doing so really its up to you but I say as for pacific mods for the 700r wait tell you can have options and go from there.

I agree, I have the power commander with the air box lid removed and the insert out of the exhaust and the throttle response is unreal
the bottom end and mid range is much stronger now. I had a hard running 05 660R with all the bolt on mods and it's does not compare to my 700R Where it really out shines my 660 is at the dunes.

Old 09-01-2005, 12:44 AM
Air
Pro Rider

I installed the Dobeck TFI today and am heading for LS Utah for the weekend, I hope my pipe gets here by then.
Do not believe Yamaha when they say you can add a pipe and a K&N and it will compensate. you really need some way to add a little more fuel to your machine.
The pipes are only making a minimal gain by themselves.
Both units haves their pluses and minuses.
The TFI uses stock mapping and you control the Miliseconds of the injector with the controller.
It is adjustable for most mods. It is also a set it and forget it machine as the stock mapping compensates for everything else.
The Power Commander rewrites the mapping to add fuel and change the curve.
It makes a lot of gain but is pretty mod specific and new maps must be written or found for your mods and you need a computer to download the maps to and to hook up to the machine. or you need to take it to a trained tech to write you a map on the Dyno
Custom maps are not always as forgiving as the stock map.

I would not reccomend one over the other, but for me the TFI sounded like what I needed as iI ride from sea level to 12000 ft. When riding in a sound sensitive area
I can put on the stock pipe and turn down the TFI to stock. I liked that idea.

Old 09-01-2005, 02:04 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Air
I installed the Dobeck TFI today and am heading for LS Utah for the weekend, I hope my pipe gets here by then.
Do not believe Yamaha when they say you can add a pipe and a K&N and it will compensate. you really need some way to add a little more fuel to your machine.
The pipes are only making a minimal gain by themselves.
Both units haves their pluses and minuses.
The TFI uses stock mapping and you control the Miliseconds of the injector with the controller.
It is adjustable for most mods. It is also a set it and forget it machine as the stock mapping compensates for everything else.
The Power Commander rewrites the mapping to add fuel and change the curve.
It makes a lot of gain but is pretty mod specific and new maps must be written or found for your mods and you need a computer to download the maps to and to hook up to the machine. or you need to take it to a trained tech to write you a map on the Dyno
Custom maps are not always as forgiving as the stock map.

I would not reccomend one over the other, but for me the TFI sounded like what I needed as iI ride from sea level to 12000 ft. When riding in a sound sensitive area
I can put on the stock pipe and turn down the TFI to stock. I liked that idea.
Thank you i now under stand that tfi now. i just bought the comander cause i like hookin stuff up two my comp lol probly will screw me in the end but then i can say ummmmmmmmm.......... illl get back on that.

Old 09-01-2005, 02:31 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: RoostItUp
Wow, you seem sure of yourself. Don't be upset when the modded YFZ's crawl all over you. Also, if your buddy can't keep up with you on the trails he need to learn to ride lol! I have no problems beating those 700r's with my YFZ and after riding a 700 all weekend I don't think the power is improved as much as some people would like to think, but I must admit the handling is freakin MUCH improved!

Try the free mods first and see how you like it, remove the baffle and filter lid. As of now their arn't to many mods released for the 700 and I know their arn't any EFI mods. I would assume that the old 660 aftermarket exhaust systems should still fit fine. Also, try changing your gearing around.
Now now sweetheart....there is no need to be mean. Just because your head pipe broke doesn't mean you have to take it out on my quad[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] At least I let you ride it. Just kidding, but I couldn't help myself!

Old 09-01-2005, 03:01 AM
Air
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: AirI installed the Dobeck TFI today and am heading for LS Utah for the weekend, I hope my pipe gets here by then. Do not believe Yamaha when they say you can add a pipe and a K&N and it will compensate. you really need some way to add a little more fuel to your machine.The pipes are only making a minimal gain by themselves.Both units haves their pluses and minuses.The TFI uses stock mapping and you control the Miliseconds of the injector with the controller.It is adjustable for most mods. It is also a set it and forget it machine as the stock mapping compensates for everything else.The Power Commander rewrites the mapping to add fuel and change the curve.It makes a lot of gain but is pretty mod specific and new maps must be written or found for your mods and you need a computer to download the maps to and to hook up to the machine. or you need to take it to a trained tech to write you a map on the DynoCustom maps are not always as forgiving as the stock map.I would not reccomend one over the other, but for me the TFI sounded like what I needed as iI ride from sea level to 12000 ft. When riding in a sound sensitive areaI can put on the stock pipe and turn down the TFI to stock. I liked that idea.
Thank you i now under stand that tfi now. i just bought the comander cause i like hookin stuff up two my comp lol probly will screw me in the end but then i can say ummmmmmmmm.......... illl get back on that.
You didn't buy wrong just went another route than me.

Old 09-01-2005, 03:07 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Air
Originally posted by: AirI installed the Dobeck TFI today and am heading for LS Utah for the weekend, I hope my pipe gets here by then. Do not believe Yamaha when they say you can add a pipe and a K&N and it will compensate. you really need some way to add a little more fuel to your machine.The pipes are only making a minimal gain by themselves.Both units haves their pluses and minuses.The TFI uses stock mapping and you control the Miliseconds of the injector with the controller.It is adjustable for most mods. It is also a set it and forget it machine as the stock mapping compensates for everything else.The Power Commander rewrites the mapping to add fuel and change the curve.It makes a lot of gain but is pretty mod specific and new maps must be written or found for your mods and you need a computer to download the maps to and to hook up to the machine. or you need to take it to a trained tech to write you a map on the DynoCustom maps are not always as forgiving as the stock map.I would not reccomend one over the other, but for me the TFI sounded like what I needed as iI ride from sea level to 12000 ft. When riding in a sound sensitive areaI can put on the stock pipe and turn down the TFI to stock. I liked that idea.
You didn't buy wrong just went another route than me.
Well yes n no cause noing me im gunna try and make my own maps whitch wont be good lol.