Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

700R Air Filter K&N or GYTR

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 11:50 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700R Air Filter K&N or GYTR

It seems there are two filter (paper) setups, GYTR with billet adapter from Yamaha and K&N with billet adapter from Trinity, do you feel one is superior or the adapter's would be any different from each other? I did notice the GYTR has alittle different look, I believe it's flat on the bottom, but don't know if it would make any difference in performance. What do ya'll think?

Old 09-23-2005, 11:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i doubt there is any difference in the performance of the adapters, but I would trust a k&n filter over a gytr because of k&n's reputation

Old 09-24-2005, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

Basically, how much do you want to spend... either one works fine.. so long as you get rid of that restrictive backfire screen..........

Happa,,,, the GYTR is flat on top,, so you can put the airbox lid back on...

Old 09-24-2005, 12:13 AM
Range Rover

I thought they were a cotton type material, oh well I was told that K&N makes the GYTR -could be wrong though (salesman told me). My pro design is a gytr and I did not care for the supplied template I ended up making my own. I also have gytr skid plates and had to take my drill and hog the holes out to make them fit. Bottom line IMO stay away from GYTR products.

Old 09-24-2005, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

I use the GYTR setup on my new Raptor 700R, and it fits perfectly,, easy installation.

Old 09-24-2005, 12:31 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!

Originally posted by: spudley I thought they were a cotton type material, oh well I was told that K&N makes the GYTR -could be wrong though (salesman told me).
I just refer to it as paper, it's not really paper, just like the grocery store asks, paper or plastic, that's just the distinction I make between the two, you're right, it's more of a cotton fiber, but a huge difference from foam.

Old 09-24-2005, 12:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!

Originally posted by: Trxoutlawz Basically, how much do you want to spend... either one works fine.. so long as you get rid of that restrictive backfire screen..........
$125 or $160, same thing I was thinking. Where's the backfire screen? I knew it was flat on one side or the other, so you can't put the lid on with the K&N or is it just alittle shorter, top to bottom, so the lid fits?

Old 09-24-2005, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

Have any of you guys used the gytr K7n style filter on the 660?And if so...How does it perform and have there been any defects?

Old 09-24-2005, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

Im trying to decide the same thing, i can get a gytr or a prodesign set up for about 120, just cant decide which one

Old 09-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: HappaRap
Originally posted by: Trxoutlawz Basically, how much do you want to spend... either one works fine.. so long as you get rid of that restrictive backfire screen..........
$125 or $160, same thing I was thinking. Where's the backfire screen? I knew it was flat on one side or the other, so you can't put the lid on with the K&N or is it just alittle shorter, top to bottom, so the lid fits?

Hap... I personally do not know the exact size of the K&N brand filter, but I doubt that there is too much difference between the two for the recreational rider to ever notice.
The backfire screen is whats under your stock air filter.. Remove the foam filter and you will see what I am talking about. You will notice first thing, just how restrictive it is..
That gets removed when you install either air filter setup.. Very simple to do... I got the GYTR filter and billet adapter, and prefilter from my dealer..

Check this link out to see the set ups I have on my 700R...
My Mods So Far.............

Quick Reply: 700R Air Filter K&N or GYTR