Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Homemade head porting on Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade head porting on Raptor

The secret is blending the bowl area and the valve job. OH can't forget where to take out material to make a smooth transition between the intake and the cylinder head....
Tip, do not remove anything from the floor of the ports. Intake or Exhaust!!!

Old 09-28-2005, 08:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

lol........knew there was some tricks to it...and probably more than ernie even listed........way over this guy's head.....and pocketbook to just try.....

Old 09-28-2005, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider
Hasn't given up on the 660 just yet...

http://mototuneusa.com/think_fast_intake_porting.htm

Worth a shot. DIY
No one really knows if it works on all engines though.

Old 09-28-2005, 09:15 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Ernie 660r, I was waiting for some solid porting info. I'm going to be totally honest. I am not doing the porting myself my father is going to do the porting and he is a pretty good motrocycle mechanic who has ported at least one air cooled head himself before and is very smart. So any information will be researched and appreciated. I am just trying to save the money on the porting since it runs a $430 per head through Kenz cycle tech and the other reputable shops. I mean come on I still have to buy the Hotcams stage 2 cam and heavy duty valvespring kit and kibblewhite 1mm over valves, that hardware alone is over $400. And yes my father and I agreed that the 1mm over valves are a good idea for flow purposes, not a neccesity just a good idea. Hey Scholle, it looks like 2strokerip currently has the high bid on that raptor mx head on ebay, thats the head I was talking about earlier and thats the kind of set up I am after to bad he doesn't say what kind of cam its got and what type of porting he has is pretty much a guess to the future buyer, I guess you could improve the porting if you wanted. Looks like a kick butt set up besides the question on the cam, he says its an mx cam but thats it?? I past on that other ported head on ebay because of the stock valves it had stock springs to but thats no biggie to replace, no cam though, but I could kill to birds with one stone by just installing the hotcams stage 2 cam and HD spring kit, but the stock valves were just enough for me to pass it up. The buyer got that head for $238.... thats a steal. Especially because that head was brand new uninstalled, clean clean clean.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

finq! do some damn research on the motor. ask any knowledgable person on here, and their going to tell you, you dont need +1 valves. call every engine builder from flordia to cali, their going to tell you dont need bigger valves. it used to be the guys running the 730 were running the +2 valves and just recently discovered the +1's make more power! what makes you think your stocker need +1 valves? honestly? i dont think the stock bore smoker running 68hp is running oversized valves. but then again what do i know...lol my opinion(fact) is unbiased anyway...

Old 09-29-2005, 10:24 AM
Trailblazer

Who sells the +2mm valves for the raptor head.

Old 09-29-2005, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry fing i agree with CT on a stock bore i would run stock vavles, the 690 sparks raptor that won 4stroke wars1 was with stock vavles.
if you are running stock carbs and stock bore you are not gaining any HP with +1mm vavles. BTW our porting isnt 250 that must of been for a person that was getting more work done at the time, kinda of a package deal.350.00 is the price. do some searches on yahoo or google you might come up with some ideas and just for info must builders like myself didnt get our first port job right. little more than just making bigger. our last 727 hit 74.4 on the dyno but thats been a long time coming to find out a winning combo. dyno sheet on the other site we cant post
not meaning to talk you out of trying,but sometimes you are better off taking it to a shop

Old 09-29-2005, 10:52 AM
Trailblazer

Mad Racing, When you say that your first port job didn't go right what do mean. Do you mean you could have done a better port job or do mean you mean you wrecked the head. Do you have any porting tips, if I do try it.

Old 09-29-2005, 11:25 AM
Range Rover

fing, most of these shops that excel at building Raptor motors have spent a great deal of research and development time working out the porting for this head. They make sure the results of the flow bench show up on the bike.

It is the single most important part of the engine build! The head is the highway intersection of every other performance piece you stick on the motor.

You should look at what mods will bring the most value for your $$$$

IMO it is quality port work that integrates the rest of your mods and the intended use for the bike.

CRR

Old 09-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

I hat to rain on any builders parade. RapFam did his porting on his sisters 686 using stock valves and it kicked a lot of but on the sand hills at FSW this past year. She even beat a few 727's I not going to mention the builders name..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Homemade head porting on Raptor