Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Ticking Raptor ????? Valves ????

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking Raptor ????? Valves ????

I have never worked on one nor have I rode one. My neighbor has had one for about a year, this is his first quad and first 4 stroke, he adjusted the valves for the first time, he has a manuel and followed it closely.
He adjusted the valves about a week ago but has not rode it, today he comes over and asked me to take a listen since he sees me working on mine all the time. I started it up and its pretty noisey but sounds more like a loose cam chain slapping then valves. He told me valves are in spec, it took 6 to 7 turns to get them in spec. after adjusted he said it started up better then usual and sounded great, now all the sudden its ticking like crazy.
Any ideas ? Z's are known for timing chain slap and mine did it and his sounds the same as mine did. It doesnt go away when you rev higher, it just increases ticking with RPM's.
Thanks

Old 10-08-2005, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider

I can tell you that it's not normal to tick. But I can't diagnose unless I have more info on the bike. Year, hours on the motor, mods if any?

Old 10-08-2005, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

I will find out more info this weekend, all I know is he only rides dunes, its the Black with red flames, and he has an Alba pipe on it. Dont know if he bought it new or used. Today was the first day I have really talked to him, its always been just a friendly wave. Your in Vegas you know how it is, most neighbors just look at ya funny. LOL

Old 10-08-2005, 07:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like he didn't have it on compression stroke or he used the wrong specs.

Old 10-11-2005, 12:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

hello, i'm the friendly neighbor!! found this site from many internet searches, trying to find more info to make sure my raptor will run right, It is an '03 LE raptor black with red flames, i bought it new it ran really good then i put an Alba full exhaust on it, DynoJet Kit Prodesign air filter adapter with a K&N filter, i also dropped a tooth on the front sprocket. other than that it is stock, and it has always ran VERY GOOD. the manual only says to have the piston at TDC with all the adjusters (exhaust and intake) in the Up position, it never specified wich stroke. just that the "I"mark on the timing gear is in alignment withe the mark on the case. any advice or info anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated, thanx

Old 10-11-2005, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

Read this that should help you out.

Old 10-11-2005, 01:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanx for the link, thats more info than my manual and the yamaha shop gave me, thanx again

Trending Topics

Old 10-11-2005, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

no problem, were all friendly neighbors here [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-11-2005, 02:50 AM
Pro Rider

a little tick its a problem, make sure your on teh right stroke when your adjusting them, and/or is could be a little piston slap.

Old 10-12-2005, 12:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

It Lives!!!!! i adjusted the valves on the right stroke this time and it's running like a bat out of hell again. thank you for all your help, and thanx neighbor for getting me headed in the right direction.

i'm just trying to figure out these 4 wheels, and 4 strokes

Quick Reply: Ticking Raptor ????? Valves ????