Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Dragster??

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2000, 11:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys kill me!! Now hopefully someone out there will agree with me on this. Every other post that I read in this forum is about dragracing this or dragracing that, what is it with you people. I thought the manufacturers made atv's for duning or trail riding and of course, mx and cross country!! Any knucklehead can pin the throttle in a straight line, ok maybe I shouldn't have said that, I have read a couple of posts in this forum where that might be a stretch for them to do even that!! Let's start hearing about these machines (Raptor, 400EX, Banshee, DS650) going head to head in the real world, where everything isn't nice and smooth and FLAT.

Old 10-26-2000, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

I was under the impression that the ATV's were designed to please thier riders, not out run the competition. I couldn't agree more! I'm sick of the high speed antics in the forums.

Can anyone honestly tell me that they run thier Raptor through the woods at 5th gear pinned? Or thier 400EX through the woods wide open? I know the dune riders like the drag strips, and wide open hill climbs, but come on......If we are here to talk about Raw HorsePower, Top Speed, and High Speed Handling, we should be in the Corvette forum, or NASCAR, or some other arena where it matters. The simple fact remains, if we continue on this quest for top speeds, drag races, and 60 foot table top jumps, well, the Ambulance Chaser's will take us right back to the 80's, and we'll be riding mountian bikes!

Honestly, how long until one of the younger riders gets hurt drag racing, and his or her parents sue Yamaha or Honda, happen to get Johnnie Cochran for an attorney, and end up owning the manufacturer? Ride Smart, Safe, and think of the future of the sport, your body, and the enviornment, and we won't have these problems, but start riding to see how fast your new quad goes with the stage 3 kit you just added, plus the Nitrous, and we're all in trouble!

Sorry for rambling, but I think he's right, every time I check out the forums, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, any of them, there is ALWAYS a new Drag Race thread, or top speed thread, or What Pipe Gives me 200 Horsepower thread. Kind of foolish.

Old 10-27-2000, 09:52 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Guys...I agree somewhat. The top speed and drag racing is probably a bit overdone in the forums. On the other hand, sport machines are built with an emphasis on acceleration, handling, and yes, top speed. This is why the conversation always comes up. Do we hear a lot about John or Jims honda 300 4X4 out-dragging his buddies Polaris 4X4? Not much. Why? Because these machines were not built for that purpose and this is not the reasons for the owners to purchase their machines. Also, machine performance is an easy comparism on the internet. It is much more difficult to determine rider abilities for obvious reasons.
These type of "performance" comparism's will always come up when speaking of any "sport" or "performance" oriented ATV, motorcycle, street bike, automobile. Just my thoughts guys! Have a good weekend!

Old 10-27-2000, 08:57 PM
Range Rover

I think you guys were looking for the "something to bitch about" forum. So what if someone puts on a stage three kit to beat everyones @$$ in a drag. I say more power to him or her. I cant believe you actually created a post to whine about people's posts. That is truly pathetic.

Old 10-27-2000, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

Also as riding in the dunes gives you a hunger for sand drags and hill shoots. Plus I live near Milan Dragway and we can race quads in the 1/4 mile and they also have 300 FT sand drags. I just think any interest in our sport can help keep it alive.

Old 10-27-2000, 10:25 PM
Trailblazer

Great post Stelter. It seems that a lot of people are in this sport just to have the best and always be out front. I have a 400ex and it is by far not the fastest quad out there, neither is the Raptor. Go race a 500cc Banshee and tell me who's fast. But anyway, I know I am having more fun then those people that only race because I don't have to come home with my tail between my legs if I get beat.