Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor jetting

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2000, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have been doing some forum reading and checking with FMF and all of the other pipe manufacturers and have found out somthing. the pipe guys(well not all of them) are crazy! they are selling these pipe kits and saying you dont have to change your jetting. if you are one of those guys that never changed your jetting i would highly recomend that you at least go up a size or two. i did some checking with mine and actually by going up jet sizes i gained 3 more HP than when no jetting was done. thats why i dont see why them companies can sell pipes without advising to jet them.granted it wont run lean with out jetting it but i am sure you would like all the power you could probably get out of your pipe right. i suppose your wondering what kind of pipe i am running. It is my own home built pipe. no head pipe yet. but when i do get it done it will be made of 1 1/4in stainless. will post pics soon. i was kind of glad when i read that one company actually does recommend jetting your bike. The company is biggun. well if i bought my pipes instead of making them myself i know who i would buy one from. my raptor right now is running 46 HP. with the head pipe i am guestimating another 3-4 HP. i am hoping i break 50 or ill have to dig into the head a bit.
RIDE HARD!!

matt

01' 660R
88' tecate
96' warrior
85' LT250R

Old 10-28-2000, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

yes, please post pictures when available. What kind of dyno are you testing it on? Thanks!

Old 10-28-2000, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

i have been testing it on a free spin dyno. a friend has a load test dyno wich i am going to try and see if it is as acurate or if there is a difference in dynos.

matt

01 660R
88 tecate
96 warrior
85 LT250

Old 10-28-2000, 04:17 PM
Range Rover

So on the Raptor carbs, where are the pilot jets and how do I get to them? If I'm going into the carbs for the mains and needle I want to go up one on the pilot also. I have my baffle out and the snorkel off with a VW breather filter on the vent tube. One of the pipe manufactures is saying with those mods you’ll gain about 10% hp over stock, but they said to go up one on the pilot and raise the needle. By the way, with the baffle out I don’t think the Raptor is any louder then by old Warrior with the White Bros pipe

Old 10-28-2000, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

Okay, I think I've got it straight now. All of the jets are located on the bottom side of the carb, on the bowl side. To get to them, you flip the carbs over and take off the full bowl.

The needle(s) from my understanding are accessed from the top of the carburetors.

Old 10-30-2000, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

here are some of my pics of my raptor. more to come soon. will keep you informed and post more pix when the headpipes are complete and installed. would be done buy now but my TIG welder gave up the ghost and is in for repairs. later.

ride hard

matt
http://www.geocities.com/mattatv22/raptorpage.html

Old 10-30-2000, 01:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Matt...is it something about the CV carbs that keeps the engine from leaning out? Are you reading torque also? If applicable, what does the torque curve look like? Does it spike at low rpm's and plane off or does it sort of follow the HP line? Thanks!

Old 10-30-2000, 05:39 PM
Trailblazer

CV carbs will not keep a motor from leaning out. Think about it - when the slide is all the way open, CV or 'normal' carb, the main jet can still only supply the same amount of fuel. I'm not sure about partially open situations.

Old 10-30-2000, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

the reason the raptor doesnt run lean is not because of the CV carbs. the reson is is because a 4 stroke is not as picky with its jetting as a 2 stroke and can be run leanto a point with out hurting the engine. the only thing the lack of jetting does is limits the performance. i am not sure what the torque curve is. never looked at that. only HP. but from riding it i can tell the torque is better than with the stock pipe.

matt

Old 10-30-2000, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

Have you tried jeting up the raptor without the pipe to see if it helps any? I think mine is a little lean, the weather hear is fairly cold now too 50* 55* this could be the problem

Quick Reply: raptor jetting