Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

rappy 700

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 11:44 PM
Air
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rappy 700

According to yamaha there are NO parts that will interchange on the engines. It is a completly new engine. The only thing they even have the same is the stroke length.
Nikasol is far superior to steel sleeves. It lasts longer and cooles better.
Trinity has a big bore piston for it, Just rebore and nikosil.

Old 10-19-2005, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider
Default rappy 700

No old school cast iron horsepower robbing borable sleeve in this bad boy.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-19-2005, 12:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default rappy 700

the exhaust are the same i thing but brand new engine i no that for sure but i was wondering what i should get a 660 or 700 can u guys help me out?plz

Old 10-19-2005, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider
Default rappy 700

Originally posted by: RaptorRandy27
Not to take sides here or get into a pissing match with any one, but i can point out a couple of other major differences between the 660 and the 700 that have not already been mentioned.

One is the size of the countershaft it is substancially larger on the 700 than the 660 The 660 front sprocket won't even come close to fitting. Another is the transmission, different ratios and different gear inside diameters with a larger main shaft. The crankshaft has a larger journal size and rotates on larger case bearings. There are no interchangable internal parts between the two engines that I am aware of with that and a complete redisign of the head If that's not a total redisign I don't know what is. The engine has been field tested for the last couple of years in europe as I understand it so it's been in use for two or three years but not twenty.
Good info, I didn't know so much was changed in the tranny. I'm curious where you guys are getting all these little details on the 700, is there a web page I'm missing?

Yamaha has been selling that same 660 in a low model street bike since at least the mid 1990's and I believe they originally designed it to put into an enduro dirt bike made by MZ, a German company, since the late 1980's. It's been around for quite a while none the less.

*Having no cylinder sleeve seems really impractical, especially if you plan on doing alot of rebuilds or building high horsepower engines that might blow alot. Is the coating thick/strong enough to reliably take all the damage and then be replaced at the same bore size without comprimising the cylinder? I've seen some pretty mangled sleeves...

Old 10-19-2005, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider
Default rappy 700

Originally posted by: raptor700thabomb
the exhaust are the same i thing but brand new engine i no that for sure but i was wondering what i should get a 660 or 700 can u guys help me out?plz
I am sorry but I think you are wrong about the exhaust being the same. My Brother runs our local Yamaha store and I will check the part #'s tomorrow. Last time I had a talk with Allen who owns CT racing he said the head pipe and muffler are totaly new to the Raptor 700.

Old 10-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider
Default rappy 700

Originally posted by: donal
Originally posted by: raptor700thabomb
I am sorry but I think you are wrong about the exhaust being the same. My Brother runs our local Yamaha store and I will check the part #'s tomorrow. Last time I had a talk with Allen who owns CT racing he said the head pipe and muffler are totaly new to the Raptor 700.
It would be sweet to finally figure this out, but I can almost guarantee the part numbers are different. You should try to physically bolt one up and see if it bolts up and passes by the frame okay [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-19-2005, 01:28 AM
Air
Pro Rider
Default rappy 700

I have physically compared my 700 to a friends 660 there is now way that a 660 exhaust is going to fit.

Nikosil has been used on dirt bikes for years. Mercedes benz has used a form of it it on their aluminum block engines since the early 80s
a steel sleeve is actually a inferior design. steel doesnt transfer heat as good as aluminum
When you want to go bigger on a nikosil engine you just rebore and re nikosil.

The stock cylinder is capable of being bored to a 727 I believe without sleeving or stroking it.

Old 10-19-2005, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider
Default rappy 700

my bro has a 660, they are very different, the oil tank is in a different location and the bends in the pipe are way different

Old 10-19-2005, 07:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default rappy 700

Dumb question but with this high tech Nikosil coating on the cylinder does it require using synthetic motor oil? It doesn't say anything about using it in the owners manual.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default rappy 700

Originally posted by: Ozark38
Dumb question but with this high tech Nikosil coating on the cylinder does it require using synthetic motor oil? It doesn't say anything about using it in the owners manual.
No do not use Synthetic, in fact they warn against it because of the wet clutch. Of course Yamaha recommends you only use YamaLube [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

You can go up to 734 on the Stock jug according to trinity's website

The 734cc kit includes a JE forged piston, a bore/hone/Nikasil of your Raptor cylinder, and a top-end gasket kit.

Quick Reply: rappy 700