Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Underbody?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Underbody?

How often are there big rocks that could harm the underside of atv's? Are skids "REALLY" nessceary for trail rides? Is the engine skid enough?

Old 10-31-2005, 08:24 PM
Range Rover
Default Underbody?

the engine and swing arm skids are neccisary if ur going to ride trails, u can get a arm skids if u want but u dont really need them unless ur goin in some really rocky trails.

Old 10-31-2005, 08:43 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best
Default Underbody?

Depends how you plan to ride. I wont go without Full underbody armor. Arms, Belly And swing. plus a good bumper. All of my skids have recieved a thrashing and everytime i look at them i know why i have them. their a wear part. I get about 1 year outta a swingarm skid before they are ripped to shreds.. Sure i could make an effort to slow down and avoid some of the rocks. But i really dont care too slow down.

Old 10-31-2005, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Underbody?

Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy
Depends how you plan to ride. I wont go without Full underbody armor. Arms, Belly And swing. plus a good bumper. All of my skids have recieved a thrashing and everytime i look at them i know why i have them. their a wear part. I get about 1 year outta a swingarm skid before they are ripped to shreds.. Sure i could make an effort to slow down and avoid some of the rocks. But i really dont care too slow down.
Dang! Where do you ride? Must be called Devil's Trails. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-31-2005, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default Underbody?

And, are softer tires or harder tires better for trails?

Old 11-01-2005, 04:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default Underbody?

It only takes one rock.
As far as tires go, it depends on a lot of things. Sometimes you need to change your tire preasure during a ride. It's best to start out with the recommended preasure and adjust to what feels the best and works the best for the conditions you're in.

Old 11-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default Underbody?

Hey Mark,

Noticed that you no longer want a 06 banshee and now want an 06 yfz. What made you change your mind? And when are you going to buy one?

Old 11-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best
Default Underbody?

With razr2's on the back i run 2lbs of air and razr2's on front with 4lbs of air. with stock tires i ran about 10lbs in the front and 5 in the rear otherwise they were too rolly.

Tire pressure will always be a personal preference. you have to play with it to find how you like your quad to react.

As far as trails. they all have rocks out here. just most people try and avoid or slow down for them. I dont see the point. I like to break stuff. makes me feel like i did sompin [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] went down a Boulder crawling jeep trail with another forum member. TractorPacker. it was get all the momentum you could Slam the boulder and slide over it. Rocks bigger than jeeps. that ride was hard on the skids. most trails just have your basic 6 - 8" rock out in the middle.

Old 11-01-2005, 01:23 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts
Default Underbody?

Originally posted by: 1LeSSRaptor
Hey Mark,

Noticed that you no longer want a 06 banshee and now want an 06 yfz. What made you change your mind? And when are you going to buy one?
#5, just like clockwork. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Trailblazer
Default Underbody?

If you don't have enough pressure you risk pinching the tire between the rim and a rock. This happened to me a couple of months ago when I forgot to add some air when I knew it was a little low. Of course it depends on how you ride too. If you ride fast, you want at least the recommended pressure if not a little more. On the skids, you ABSOLUTELY need at least a swingarm guard. The Armadillo is probably the best bang for the buck at $80 and 1/4 inch thick with good coverage. Even if you don't ride "Rocky" trails, all it takes is a root, stump, branch or who knows what. If you are going fast and anything hits your rotor or sprocket, something will get damaged. It doesn't have to be very "often", just has to be once and you will wish you had some armor. I ride trails occasionally but even at the dunes there can be objects or rocks that will jump out and grab your underside.

Quick Reply: Underbody?