Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

97 Wolverine questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 12:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Wolverine questions

I just picked up a 97 Wolverine, Are they a dependable bike? Also I noticed when I bought it, that the rear bearings seemed a little loose. I just ordered my manual, is this a tough job to tackle? or should I just have a shop take care of it for me? Also, when I go to take it out of reverse it seems like I have to click up a couple of times to get it back into first. Is there a adjustment I can make to help that out? I bought it fairly cheap and pointed out the problems I noticed, so I don't mind putting a little work into it. pic

Old 11-09-2005, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking quad. They are very dependable. Same Motor that is in the Warrior except this has auto clutch tranny. As for the bearings. if you have the manual and some mechanical ability you should be able to do it. I am going to do my front ones this winter. As for the tough to get out of reverse somtimes mine is like that but it is usually because I am on a incline and have some pressure on the gears. maybe make sure the clutch is with the spec'ed adjustment?

Can you do me a favor and see what size rims and tires are on there. I would love to have a set of sport tires on mine like that except i thought anything under a 12" diameter rim would interfere with the brakes? Let me know what size they are and if they used spacers or anything. If you dont' mind.

Old 11-09-2005, 02:29 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: UGLY88
Nice looking quad. They are very dependable. Same Motor that is in the Warrior except this has auto clutch tranny. As for the bearings. if you have the manual and some mechanical ability you should be able to do it. I am going to do my front ones this winter. As for the tough to get out of reverse somtimes mine is like that but it is usually because I am on a incline and have some pressure on the gears. maybe make sure the clutch is with the spec'ed adjustment?

Can you do me a favor and see what size rims and tires are on there. I would love to have a set of sport tires on mine like that except i thought anything under a 12" diameter rim would interfere with the brakes? Let me know what size they are and if they used spacers or anything. If you dont' mind.

They are 22x10x10's Holeshots, there are wheels spacers on there to move them away from the brakes. Keep in mind though, they did play havaoc on the bearings. I just did the fronts, and I'm waiting on a manual for the rears. I am going to put some ITP wheels and bighorns on there. Hows first gear on yours with the mudlights? I'm diggin mine that are on my Honda.

pic

Old 11-09-2005, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

My first gear is fine. I do not think I lost to much like others have mentioned. I go over logs and rocks just fine. I do not tow a lot of stuff though.

Old 11-09-2005, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Blazerone22

They are 22x10x10's Holeshots, there are wheels spacers on there to move them away from the brakes. Keep in mind though, they did play havaoc on the bearings. I just did the fronts, and I'm waiting on a manual for the rears. I am going to put some ITP wheels and bighorns on there. Hows first gear on yours with the mudlights? I'm diggin mine that are on my Honda.

pic

if your getting different tires.... how much you looking to get for those four tires and rims? id be interested. I run stock rims with 25 inch maxis sur-traks but would love a smaller tire when i run with my buddys on the full sport quads in the dry summertime.

the wolverine tranny will never shift like a honda. I dont mind it because when im in the heat of the need for speed im slammin on the shifter anyways so it doesnt bother me. Your oil could be playing a part in that. A lot of people put regular motor oil in, which wont hurt the engine, but doesnt help the tranny. Like most motorcycles, and not like cars, its a wet clutch setup. I run the amsol full synthetic motorcycle oil for wet clutches. I had used regular motor oil times in the past and noticed an imediate and increasing difference as I used my quad over the next hour or two with the amsol. Doesnt have to be amsol but make sure its an oil for wet clutches. most motorcycle motor oils are, car oils arent.

To your reliability question. if you take care of them they will take good care of you. I got mine new as a gift from my father in augest of 2001 and I wouldnt trade it for any other quad out there. I plan to keep it for a loooong time especially after i see what the wolverine 450 is offering, nothing. Ive done a decent ammount of work on mine Ill get some pics up of her when im home for thanksgiving (college student) Its ties to the warrior motor are a great advantage because theres a much wider variety of performance parts available for it. Right now I have the high compression piston and white brothers high lift cam with new valve springs as well as exaust and intake. the cam made a nice difference in power. anyhow, i have the specs of her in my sig but its a great machine any more questions id be glad to help.

Old 11-09-2005, 05:16 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: CTATV
Originally posted by: Blazerone22

pic

if your getting different tires.... how much you looking to get for those four tires and rims? id be interested. I run stock rims with 25 inch maxis sur-traks but would love a smaller tire when i run with my buddys on the full sport quads in the dry summertime.

the wolverine tranny will never shift like a honda. I dont mind it because when im in the heat of the need for speed im slammin on the shifter anyways so it doesnt bother me. Your oil could be playing a part in that. A lot of people put regular motor oil in, which wont hurt the engine, but doesnt help the tranny. Like most motorcycles, and not like cars, its a wet clutch setup. I run the amsol full synthetic motorcycle oil for wet clutches. I had used regular motor oil times in the past and noticed an imediate and increasing difference as I used my quad over the next hour or two with the amsol. Doesnt have to be amsol but make sure its an oil for wet clutches. most motorcycle motor oils are, car oils arent.

To your reliability question. if you take care of them they will take good care of you. I got mine new as a gift from my father in augest of 2001 and I wouldnt trade it for any other quad out there. I plan to keep it for a loooong time especially after i see what the wolverine 450 is offering, nothing. Ive done a decent ammount of work on mine Ill get some pics up of her when im home for thanksgiving (college student) Its ties to the warrior motor are a great advantage because theres a much wider variety of performance parts available for it. Right now I have the high compression piston and white brothers high lift cam with new valve springs as well as exaust and intake. the cam made a nice difference in power. anyhow, i have the specs of her in my sig but its a great machine any more questions id be glad to help.

I do have another question, what is the bolt pattern on the wolverine? As far as the tires I have on there I'll probally hold on to them and mount paddles on the rear for when we go to the dunes.

Old 11-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

4x110 is the pattern.

Trending Topics

Old 11-09-2005, 09:50 PM
Trailblazer

Same as Honda??? Cool! I might have to try my mudlites out on there.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

yep 4 110 like he said