Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

My views on Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2000, 02:33 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from 4 days at Dumont Dunes with my new Raptor. Thought I would put my 2 cents worth in. Overall I am very happy. Rode it pretty hard but did not thrash it. No problems whatsoever. I broke it in very easy before going to the dunes. I do not race and am not into drag races. I ride with 5-10 highly modified dune buggies on very brisk paced rides through the dunes. Anyone who has done this knows it can be very challenging to keep up with the buggies. My friend (who also has a Raptor) and I could keep up with the lead buggie with no problem. My 400EX could keep up also but I REALLY had to work it. I don't even get tired with the Raptor. A few observations:
1) Is the Raptor king of the hill climbs? No. A piped Banshee will beat it up Competition Hill. Is the Raptor king of the dunes? Maybe. With its superior suspension and way more comfortable ergonomics the Banshee and 400EX take a lot more work to ride fast through the dunes.
2) A stock Raptor beat a stock DS650 up competition hill twice. With its heavy wieght and size the DS is not as fast and agile in the dunes.
3) A stock Raptor is way faster than a 400EX with pipe, air box mods, jetting etc. There were several in our group and all of them conceded this fact. The 400 EX is a great bike but the power, comfort level (especially the seat), overall handling, and ergonomics of the Raptor is far superior. Also the PRICE unfortunatly!!
4) The Raptor is a little tipsy compared to the 400EX but it takes no time to learn how do deal with it. Overall it handles great.
5) The stock tires have great traction. This can be good or bad. If you like to slide a lot it can be bad. The tires hook up and go. If you like to corner this is good. The Raptor corners great. I really had no need for paddles. My friend had them on his and I kept up with him easily.
6) The pilot jet is lean. Main seems OK.
7) Stock gearing sucks. Go with a 12 tooth on the front.
8) The air filter setup sucks. I saw an aftermarket setup on a Banshee that converted the air filter to a clamp type. Very nice. I'll be on the lookout for one for the Raptor.

Overall I am very happy. This quad has almost exactly what I wanted from my 400EX. Great handling with a LOT more power. Added features are an extremely comfortable seat (the 40EX feels like a park bench in comparison), and excellent ergonomics.
My final opinion? The Banshee, 400EX, DS650, and the Raptor are all great bikes. None are perfect. Whatever you have, just remember, you bought it to have fun so ride it, enjoy it, and have a blast!

Old 10-30-2000, 03:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

A "desert" type seat (like on the Banshee) would be even more comfortable. Yamaha says the pilot is lean too.

Old 10-30-2000, 04:24 PM
Range Rover

Great post!

Old 10-30-2000, 06:02 PM
Range Rover

excellent post maynard!!!..i ride mine in the sand also and love it!!!

99 banshee (pro design filter set up)
01 raptor blue (outerwares, skids,gyt light guards,gyt heel guards)

Old 10-30-2000, 08:31 PM
Trailblazer

Hey great post! I too saw first hand how tipsy the Raptor is. MY buddies girlfriend had her bikini on at our local riding water hole. This guy was trying to eyeball her and turn at the same time. We saw the raptor flip and almost roll all the way down the hill.She put her clothes on right away and said this might be a dangerous place to wear a bikini.

Old 10-30-2000, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

MY views on the raptor is that it is pretty good machine,yet it is definitly Yamahas quick comeback to the "MIGHTY DS650"

Old 10-30-2000, 11:06 PM
Trailblazer

Have to agree with you that the Raptor is a mighty fine machine but not "awesome" in the sand. I will ride my banshee in the sand over the raptor any day but since that accounts for less than 10% of the riding I do I guess the banshee will still be nice an new for my grandson unless my wife actually rides it more ; )