Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Aluminum flakes got in Raptor tank ... how to clean ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum flakes got in Raptor tank ... how to clean ???

I discovered the fuel station pump on my Weekend Warrior toy hauler seized (know recent quality issue with the gears, but I am an odd ball as it actually damaged the al. boring) and spit aluminum flakes/chunks into my quads tanks. When I went to repair I noticed the gears had chipped the edge of the aluminum bore they sit in in several places. Am working with WW for possible repair to my quads to clean this mess up.

Anyways, what would you do to make sure none of the Al gets passed on into the Raptor carbs now or over time. I am not sure WW is going to pay for it yet so if you think just doing one of many preventative measures would probably do the trick let me know also. Also an indication of how easy it would be to access the filter, etc. needing attention would help.

Thanks ..

Old 11-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

This happened to my neighbors "Attitude" The fuel is causing the gears to swell, sieze and the motor is buring up.

His dealer fixed his for free, but it was still under warranty.

If it were me, I'd take the tank off and flush it out with hose water. Then let it dry and re-install.

The raptor don't have a fuel filter, just a screen in the tank.

It's probably OK if you don't do anything. The worst thing that would happen is a chunk caught in the needle and seat causing the over-flow to dump. But it's a fine screen in the tank. It should be OK.

Old 11-21-2005, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

Pull the petcock and use brake cleaner or B-12 chemtool to clean the screen really good, and flush the tank with water and Dawn dish soap to help grab the small particles when flushing it out. Then clean out the carb bowls and jets with B-12 chemtool. That should do it.

Old 11-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Trailblazer

Is anyone adding an inline fuel filter between tank and petcock or is this not good idea (maybe poor flow rate issues or similar ??) ???

Old 11-21-2005, 11:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't know about the raptor, but i've always ran inline filters in my quads. One of the neighbors has a 440ex he races and he runs an inline filter with it, so I don't think there's any issue with it restricting flow. That's what I recommend doing, the 2 dollars is worth it if it saves you from tearing apart a carb even once.

Old 11-22-2005, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

If your main jets are above the 190 range, fuel flow can't keep up with damand as is. If you add a filter, who knows if it what it will do..