Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor turbo ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 05:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor turbo ???

i was looking at getting a turbo kit for my rappy 660, i plan on putting it on a completely stock bike,
the one i was looking at is a kit which includes pipes, k&n, gasket, intercooler etc.
so does that mean buying a seperate pipe and jet be pointless ?? seen as this is a "kit"
is there any other engine mods/internal mods that are recommended to do along side the turbo, (besides the longer swingarm)
will the stock engines' internal parts be able to handle the turbo, also i hear the engines' lifespan is shortened somewhat have any of you guys got experience with turbos
also how well would the turbo work for mx style racing, would it be much of an advantage

all that aside, im strongly thinking about getting the 700r and plan on sticking a turbo in that (completely stock) 700r instead,
i am aware that there is not a turbo available for the 700 yet but would the answers to these questions be the same for both 660 and 700

any replies would be great thanks guys

Old 11-22-2005, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor turbo ???

The turbo is a bolt on mod that does come with the pipe so it is pointless. I don't think the turbo would be good for MX style racing because MX is all about acceleration from what I have experienced. With turbo you would not be able to accelerate out of the corners fast enough. In order for the turbo to get it's most power, you need to be going fast (usually good for dunes and wide open fields). It depends on how you use the turbo for the quads engine life span. Just hope that maddog see's this. He'll give you some great answers.

Old 11-22-2005, 07:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default Raptor turbo ???

so does that mean buying a seperate pipe and jet be pointless
Yep, can't use a pipe with that turbo kit. Not like your thinking about anyway.
seen as this is a "kit"
is there any other engine mods/internal mods that are recommended to do along side the turbo,
Depends on what you want to do. If you want to take on the world you can have a custom titanium jet rod made up and hang it on a custom made stroker crank..........and on...........and on............and on...........How much money you got? I can spend it all building a turbo set-up!!!
If you just want to putt around the trails with 5 LBS of boost you don't have to do anything except bolt the kit on and go have fun.
will the stock engines' internal parts be able to handle the turbo, also i hear the engines' lifespan is shortened somewhat have any of you guys got experience with turbos
From what I hear stock engine parts are fine as long as you don't get crazy with boost pressures. Do NOT over wind your Rappy with a stock rod. You know about that deal. That goes for NA or turbo engines.
also how well would the turbo work for mx style racing, would it be much of an advantage
In my opinion it won't. Racing an MX quad with a turbo is like racing a NACAR with an iron big block. Drag race, ya, they are the sheeeet, but not MX.
all that aside, im strongly thinking about getting the 700r and plan on sticking a turbo in that (completely stock) 700r instead,
The 700 is an EFI set-up. Different deal entirely. I don't know how they set up the EFI. If it is a map, (I think it is) then your going to need a puter to give it more fuel and less spark adv and all of that jazz. Reprogram city.
Have fun and good luck; turbos are fun.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor turbo ???

Prepping for a turbo should include having a forged piston with around 9:1 compression or less. I have no idea what a 660s pistons compression is, or if its forged. I know the 700 is 9.2 and is forged. I would think for mild boost(5-8) the rod and crank would be ok.

A turbo system will add weight to a bike, not good for handling on an MX track.

Out in the dunes, the weight will be overshadowed by the new found power.

As to whether to mod your 660 or get a 700 and go from there.....thats a personal call. The 700 is already EFI, whereas the 660 will need to be converted to EFI. 700 has better suspension, easier chain adjustment, lower ride height, cool LED tail light.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor turbo ???

I think a turbo is a good idea for the money.

You can do this in the $4K range. You will get more hp for the money. It is easy to drop that much cash in to normally asperated mods and not get near the power.

If I would have done this to my Raptor when I got it, I would be way ahead.

But, you should change the rod and piston. The stock 660 rod can barely hold up on a stock Raptor. You should go to an 8:1 forged piston. This will allow you to run more boost. You can get a wiseco crank and rod assy for $250. A piston for $200. Just drop it in.

It may be cheaper to turbo a 700 cause you won't have to buy the EFI, just a fuel management system. I would still change the rod and piston.

MO

Old 11-23-2005, 06:20 PM
Trailblazer
Default Raptor turbo ???

yeah i thought changing the rods and pistons would be a good idea,
i reckon if i spend the money on a turbo rather than seperate mods (pipes jets k&n) i would get a better run for my money, especially the extra hp boost

QUOTE:"From what I hear stock engine parts are fine as long as you don't get crazy with boost pressures. Do NOT over wind your Rappy with a stock rod. You know about that deal. That goes for NA or turbo engines."

what is meant by do NOT over wind the rappy ??

i understand that the 700 has the EFI so i reckon when a turbo comes out for it they wont have to worry about fuel injection as the 700 already has it,

QUOTE:"If you want to take on the world you can have a custom titanium jet rod made up and hang it on a custom made stroker crank..........and on...........and on............and on...........How much money you got? I can spend it all building a turbo set-up!!!"

how much extra money would you be talking for the titanium jet rod, would it be worth the extra and what advantage does it have over other rods, obviously more durable/reliable but is there an extra boost in performance etc. ??
i plan on spending just enough for the turbo kit and a little extra ($5000 approx) but will put more cash in over time

Old 11-23-2005, 09:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default Raptor turbo ???

ATloVer, rods fail under separation. They are pull in half. That is why you never see a rod fail at low RPM. That is why race engine builders want to have the lightest possible piston in their engines. The lighter the piston the less chance that it will pull the rod in half at the end of the stroke. The more you twist the engine the more chance of a rod failure.
I have seen rods that bend from so much nitrous pressure on top of the piston at a low RPM. The rod did not fail, it just bent from too much pressure.

About the titanium rod. Last time I checked I think you could get a set of 8 for about 8 to 10 grand. (That was at a PRI show years ago) Now about now you may be saying to yourself, "thats expensive, but I could swing a grand for a good super light rod." The only problem with that is; these were off the shelf 6" SBC rods.
To have a custom rod made up for you would proably be 10 times that amount, if not way more. As you can see it's out of the question to do this.

If you want go fast take these peoples advice and change out the rod with a good aftermarket rod, get a good forged piston made for a turbo, around 8 to 1 or so, put the engine together with your turbo kit and go have fun. You will have more than enough power.

Old 11-26-2005, 04:43 AM
Trailblazer
Default Raptor turbo ???

wow that is expensive, i will definately change the rods and pistons, i will have to do some reading up, im not too mechanically inclined well im very quick to catch on and am crafty with my hands, im well known around my area for fixing things lol,
anyways do you know anywhere a could get step by step insrtuctions on how to do the above tasks, i found raptortranny's valve adjustement steps very easy to understand and follow, i read it once and now its a breeze to adjust the valves
thanks a mill for all the replies guys i hope to repay my appreciation some day to some newbies, when i have some more experience of course

Old 11-28-2005, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor turbo ???

Have a shop that specializes in this kinda stuff do it. It will be worth it.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Raptor turbo ???

Hey,
turbos are great and all but the heat and turbo lag is no good especially on a machine that is run hard and most of the times in hot conditions i was doing some home work and hear those guys at mountain performance are doing a super charger kit for the raptor 700 EFI that should be sweet, less heat and NO LAG they do tonz of stuff for yamaha they have a super charger kit for the Rhino too they told me that they have a proto type raptor 700 EFI and kits should be avalible this summer.