Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor hard to start

I try to start it and it it turns over once, and then I hear a noise like compression seeping out, almost like it the decompression isn't doing its thing. When I try to start and it halts the neutral light dims and it seems like a strain for it to turn over. Has anyone encountered this problem? I have to replace a gasket and I am going to tear it apart. I also have an aftermarket cam. The shop manual barely touches the decompression realease topic.

Lastly how dead on does the 3 dots on the cam gear have to be when in TDC. It seems once you put the cam chain tensioner the right most dot falls below the visible area.

Any input would be greatly appriciated.

Old 11-27-2005, 02:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I replaced my piston and cam with 12:1 JE and hotcam.. I did not have any problems with the dot issue.. Put it all together and when you put you cam and chain and the cam gear is on then you put the tensioner in it should not move that much.. Try this web site to put it together if you have not done so already. www.raptortranny.com I did have that sound and problem with the starter before a washer inside had worn out and it jammed up the starter inside of it but now that I put this new piston and cam in the starter does not have enough power to turn the bike over.. (old starter) well hope this helped..
Once you have the valves adjusted let me know how it runs because I have like a ticking noise in the head and can not figure it out. The valves are in adjustment according to the paper work I got with my cam.. What gap size are you going to be using for your intake and exhaust??

Old 11-27-2005, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

I too have a ticking noise coming from the head area. It seems more so from the exhaust side. I honestly forgot the specs but I adjusted them to whatever paper Hotcam (it was red) speced it to be. Did you get rid of the hard to start trouble issues? Could it be the starter? I'm thinking it might be the decompressor or just the added compression