Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor 660 hop ups

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 05:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 660 hop ups

I guess I will have to give them a call since my computer gives me crap when I try to get on their website

Old 01-26-2006, 11:20 PM
Trailblazer

hey man. i was at your stage in the game when i bought a stock raptor. its now completely modded and i will tell you what i did and the pros and cons to doing them. mine is an 02. i bought high compression piston and dynojet jet kit and k&n airfilter without the billet adapter. those three things helped alot. deffinate power increase. k&n airfilter without billet adapter was my first mistake. went to the dunes without a prefilter and fried the rings on that motor. bought new piston rings. hotcam stage one and full lrd exhaust. also ported and polished head. put back together with 11 to 1 piston .0030 over. power is huge. blow stock yfzs away. by the way you should be able to beat a stock honda 450 with jetting correct. hotcam does make motor tick alot louder. ran synthetic motor oil in last motor and had to change clutch. running regular motor oil in this one and no problems yet. i love the lrd exhaust. very good sound and power gains. curtis sparks trinity racing and hmf also have great exhausts for raptor. ok lets talk axles and spacers now. bought durablue rear spacers for rear. bent them first time out.. spacers in rear are bad. took them off and bent rear axle. bought g-force axle from rockymountain. bent it. sent it back. sent me new one and bent it to. bent one is still on bike now. g-force axles are also bad. buy lonestar or rpm dominator. best two on market. DO NOT BUY DURABLUE iv personally seen 2 break and another two brokeen ones laying in yamaha dealership. they do not bend. they break. and they break easily. high risk of injury. flipped front tires around and have bent two tie rods since. also almost broke wrist. very bad bump steer. recommend a-arms but they are expensive. if you follow what i have told you you will save a lot of money and headaches. i wish someone had told me all of this before i went through the expensive breakdowns multipple motors and waiting on the dang dealers for parts. oh and also durablues warranty is not a true lifetime warranty. g- forces are. go with rpm. the best. any other questions about the raptor ask away. iv experienced it all

Old 01-27-2006, 12:21 AM
Range Rover

maddog56 is right on about the G-Force axle being sold soley through Rocky Mountain. For $200 and a very good life-time warranty...I was sold.

Old 01-27-2006, 02:27 AM
Trailblazer

dang this is my first thread when I joined. I have all ready bought a g-force axle, sparks x-6 exhaust system (with large core), proflow k&n airfilter kit, jets, and I'm going to get a-arms before to long. next step is to have a hot rod/ crank installed, have the head ported & polished, stage 2 cam, high comprssion piston, and other internal mods (not in order)

Old 01-27-2006, 09:56 AM
Trailblazer

well. at least you didnt buy a durablue. g-force warranties are a true lifetime. send them back as many times as needed. or dont jump extremely high.great choice on exhaust. if i hadn't found a great deal on lrd i wouldve bought sparks. be shure to put a prefilter on before you go to the dunes. i found out the hard way. hot rod crank and rod is a good idea. raptor rods are kind of known for flying apart. how do you like the new found power?

Old 01-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

ok mister proudtobeon660 i have a g-force axel and i have raced in MX and i did not break them i would have to say it might ve your landing style. i have one and it is the same one sence it was new, also about the motor work, the old saying of cubic dollars still hold true. the more money and stuff you put in your quad the better. I have 12:1 comp. port & pollish and it works great. The exchast, if you can afford it i would have to say go with the yousie with an aftermarket motor. i have done some dyno work with diffrent systems and found that the yousie carbon or titianum have the best flow and HP. The next thing yall are not thinking about is FCR carbs i have them and holly crap those things are deffinetly worth the money. A set of great front A-Arms to use is ASR(americian star racing) they are found on ebay and they run around 650-700 for a pair with tie rods, i have these and i love them because they use something that no other a-arm company uses hiem (i think that is how it is spelled) joints.
the best thing to do is to put mods on slowly and get used to them little by little. i put on most of my mods all at once and i am having a hard time gettin used to my quad again.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

a great set of a-arms are the ASR...lol dont make me laugh. dawgs their is a reason no ther a-arm manufacturer sells heims, because they are supposed to be weaker. and ive had me g-force for over a year a half, done tons of jumping and drag racing, and i have it widen to teh max, and ive never bent it nor my tucker pro +4. for the price its hands down the best axle, and far as teh sparks pipe vs your yousie(i beleive your tryin to say YOSHI/YOSHIMURA) pipe, the sparks is the best for what he has and what he has planned to come. He dont have the pipe on yet cuz he had a little problem with a stubborn bolt, and he is still waiting to send it off to a dyno and have it jetted for him. It should be done anyday now.

Old 01-28-2006, 05:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually heim joints are stronger, they are just more vulnerable to the elements so they're usually only run on race machines that are frequently and meticulously maintained. As for the heavy G-force, the same guys who claim to break durablues and lonestars all day long are breaking plenty of the G's as well. The raptor just doesnt get much time as an mx bike so not as many of the trail riders see it. For a rec bike though it's a great choice.

Old 01-29-2006, 10:48 PM
Trailblazer

i agree. if the bike is for rec riding an no extreme jumps are atempted. g-force will hold up. and look nice. but i was hoping for to much when i bought it. rpms will not bend or break. the pros all use them for a reason. its the strongest they make right now and thats why i recommend it. i only weigh 150 lbs. and my highest jumps are around 10 ft high. any aftermarket axle SHOULD handle this fall. if i weighed 300 lbs with bad suspension the i could understand. and my landings are near perfect. iv been rideing since 10. yes i do land wrong occaisionally but so does doug gust. if g-force ever denies me a new axle or stops making them. my next choice will be rpm.