Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

07 yfz

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 yfz

ya know... I love EFI for the fact of simplicity and the ease of use for turbochargers... but for the simple fact that the carb v. efi debate has been going on for nearly 50 years on the automotive side of the world... i figure that they both have advantages and disadvantages... as for all out efficiency at WOT I honestly have to give it up to carbs... not saying in any way that EFI is not good at WOT, i just gotta go with the fact that the vast majority of people building naturally aspirated performance engines go with carbs... apparently they work ok... as for EFI taking over, ya, it is gonna happen sooner or later... unfortunately the EPA gives a crap about how the air quality is in 100 years or somthing like that so we end up working with what we have... so anyway... i hope the YFZ dosent go to an EFI system, but if it does, remember, there are always bolt ons (carb conversion kits)...

Old 12-14-2005, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default 07 yfz

Originally posted by: kingofthemudholes
boom how many efis have you ever be around, its sound slike not very many. i hadnt either until we got the 700r, besides my buddys canondale. the part about a yfz beat ing a 700r in a drag is horse crap. yeah the 700 only pulls very little, they run side by side from a third gear punch. off the line the yfz gets it due to its low ride ands they are so close the 700r can catch back up. i do agree with not puttin efi on the yfz due to the weight and the quad was built for track. but i think the new suzuki is gonna put some hurt on yami and honda sales i think with it being a late arival that suzuki has built it to out perform the honda and yamaha. we all know they sure had plenty of time.

Well, I have been into sport bikes for some time now, and seen them all go to fi. I like the fi on the bikes due to riding in a range of areas, and always having good performance. (like mt passes and such).
My point is the yfz is a race quad, YOU DONT NEED FI! if you move to a different track, and its that big of a elevation change, then switch out the jets to make the machine run perfect for that track, LIKE EVERY MX GUY DOES.
Your saying that the yfz beating the 700 is crap aye, WELL, I have both machines and can tell you that stock for stock its not neck and neck. Mod for mod, I cant speak for, but from what I have read, a 700 with a full exhaust, a efi controller, and intake is making upper 40's on the horse, a lot of 47-48 peak horse. A yfz often time makes more than that with cammod, jetting, intake, and full exhuast. Even if the yfz is only making the same horse as the 700, the yfz has a HUGE power to weight advantage.
atv action just did a article, which I though was wrote rather well, and the yfz was the clear winner every time when it came to drags!! They picked the 700 in the shootout, because it was for the ultimate trail machine, so of course the 700r should win.
The truth of it is, the yfz is a lot more sporty of a machine. Its light, easy to flick around, and has a huge power curve. The 700 is purpose built to be a trail machine. It does not rev, sohc, 4 valve head, weight is good for a trail machine, has massive torque, and is comfortable.

You should really pick up that mag and read it. I wont listen to what people like dirtwheels have to say, but atv action has been pretty good, and fair.

Old 12-14-2005, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default 07 yfz

Having said that, I dont want to come across as negitive toward the 700. Yamaha obviouly made a hell of a machine, and I love'em. But I only give credit where credit is due. I would never say the yfz is more comfortable, has plusher suspension, has tons of torque, and in general is a better trail quad. On the same token, I would never state that a 700 is king of drags, dunes, or mx and is a better handler or faster than a yfz!