Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

People who own the 700R

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default People who own the 700R

Originally posted by: RoostItUp
The 700 doesn't kick the YFZ's butt at all, they are pretty dang equal in speed and performance if you ask me. The YFZ's tend to be faster in the quick drags and hillshoots while the 700 tends to have more top speed and a much more torquie, low revving, and smooth powerband. They are much different in power characteristics though with the YFZ's being much more high strung and quick. Since your 6'2" you might feel a bit cramped on the YFZ, but you should really go sit on them both and take them for a good test ride before deciding. The new seat on the '06 YFZ's are very comfy compared to the old ones.
With my 660 I could notice the tippyness a bit, but if you know what you're doing you can easily figure out how to conpensate for it with little body english (but a wider axle is best). After riding the 700 I noticed immeditially that it was much less tippy and handled much better than the old 660's, although the tippy feel was still very slightly noticable. The YFZ's handle a bit better than the 700's and I feel I can go much faster on tight and/or tricky trails due to the lower center of gravity, better frame/susension ergo's, quicker acceleration, and the smaller/lighter design is much easier to throw around and manuever. You absolutly can't beat the ease of use that the Raptor now has though! The upgrades were well thought out, Yamaha did a great job with the R&D on the new Raptor!

........Ok, lets try this again. I agree with what you say, as I have seen the same. I own them both now, and love them both. I too, like "yamahakid" came from the banshee. I went to the raptor 660 after owning it, and I lvoed it and hated it. the banshee's power delivery was nothing like that of a raptor. They do indeed rev slow, and you tend to short shift because the power signs off up top, and it only revs to 9000rpm. I thought the 660 was great for trails and hillclimbs, but did indeed suffer from being tipsy, especially in comparison of the banshee.
I got rid of the 660 and went to the yfz, and was much happier. The thing revs fast, and the power is awesome. Its a rip your arms off power band, and unlike the banshee, has a broad pull. The "powerband" that your use to on the shee, is the WHOLE power curve of the yfz. the yfz likes to be reved, and sits low like your use to on the banshee.
IF your only trail riding, I highly recomend you pick up the latest edition of atvaction, and read that before buying. It compares the yfz and 700. They perferred the 700 over the yfz for trails, due to the 700 being more comfy, having reverse, and having a power delivery much more suited for trails. I have to agree, and I love my 700 for trail riding and cruising. You can ride slow, and fast, and everything between. the yfz on the other hand, your not going to want to ride slow, because of the suspension, and the way the power comes on, on the yfz. Its meant to scream and be ridden very fast. Some of us dont like HAVING to ride that fast all the time, and thats why we got the 700. THOUGH, if you do ride the yfz at its pace, in almost every aspect it will out shine the 700r.
I hope this helps, and I think you will be fine on the 700r, especially because your a bigger guy. If I was a little bigger, I think I would only have the raptor. But I am not, and will continue to ride the hell out of the yfz!