Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

horsepower??

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 10:47 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default horsepower??

i recently took my air box lid and filter out, its louder and it seems to have more low end power is this maybe right? cuz i was thinkin im right because k&n filters produce more airflow...so without a filter does it increase horepower or is it imagination? my buddy runs his without it and also has a 1/4 gap between his muffler pipe and the engine and swears to me it improves performance but that doesnt seem right...who's right here??

Old 12-27-2005, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default horsepower??

recently took my air box lid and filter out, its louder and it seems to have more low end power is this maybe right? cuz i was thinkin im right because k&n filters produce more airflow...so without a filter does it increase horepower or is it imagination? my buddy runs his without it and also has a 1/4 gap between his muffler pipe and the engine and swears to me it improves performance but that doesnt seem right...who's right here??
First if you are running no air filter....Thats not good you going to suck dirt into your carb..
Let me get this right.. Your buddy is running his quad with a 1/4 in gap between his Header and his head???? If he is.... He is not very smart... First off if he is running a 4 stoke he is going to burn a valve.. It will suck cold air back up into the head...And he will be looseing power becouse it is taking away some back pressure....Your right about the K&N they flow more air so it makes a little power... But you have to have a filter or you going to gum up the carb...

Old 12-27-2005, 11:01 PM
Range Rover
Default horsepower??

umm last i checked you should never run with out a air filter. taking the lid off your box maybe ok ,but no filter at all nope sorry you'll pull dirt right into your motor and scarr your piston and cylnder wall's and totally screw your motor . plus last i checked all pipes need to be tight against the head of the motor if thats what your saying .

Old 12-27-2005, 11:21 PM
Trailblazer
Default horsepower??

running with out a filter thats just nutz yeah it might give you just a little more hp but not enouph you can feel you do that and youll suck sand in the motor scratch your walls blow a ring and will pry throw out a bearing so thats dumb and as far as a pipe runing with out ones pointless if you want power you got to have a pipe on 2 or 4 stroke so your buddy doesnt know what hes talking about

Old 12-28-2005, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider
Default horsepower??

it would have less low end power... or at least tahts waht i experianced when i took my lid off. ur friend is on crack for thinkin that.... he just probly thinks it is casue its louder... put ur filter back on and bolt his exhaust back on.....

Old 12-28-2005, 11:45 AM
Range Rover
Default horsepower??

did you guys get a look at his name tyayo420batavia uh i think that 420 part explains it

Old 12-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default horsepower??

If you removed the air box lid without rejetting it,it's probably running lean now.That's not a good idea.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default horsepower??

Originally posted by: 1111
did you guys get a look at his name tyayo420batavia uh i think that 420 part explains it
hahahaha

Old 12-29-2005, 11:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default horsepower??

Sorry I am slow. What is the significance of the 420 comment?

BTW 420, put your filter back on before some swallow's build a nest in there and get on the internet and educate yourself on how engines work. That will innoculate you against the dangerous advice of morons! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Later

Old 12-29-2005, 12:27 PM
Range Rover
Default horsepower??

420 refers to smoking the green stuff reefer i allso i'm thinking this guy is a joker nobody puts up a post like that or do they hard to say

Quick Reply: horsepower??