Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Problem w/ Raptor after putting Tire Slime in, Please help..

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem w/ Raptor after putting Tire Slime in, Please help..

Basically I have a 2005 Raptor 660r, and a long time ago I had ran over a nail in the back left tire, and used a bottle of the green slime to fix it. At first the bike was really wobbly and eventually the bike settled down and u really couldnt tell the slime was in it so much.

Well 8 months or so later I ran over a nail in the back right tire and put another bottle of the green slime in...And now it is really unbalanced again and hasnt settled down, I cant go wide open comfortably w/o feeling like the bike is gonna fly apart or go out of control... Is there something I can do to fix this problem Besides buying new tires etc ?

Any help is greatly appriciated, in its current state I am sad about my bike [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-19-2006, 11:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Break the tire down and clean out all of the slime then patch the tire with tubless patches.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

SEMO- I dunno man, I have used that slime stuff with no problems. I'am sure you followed the directions on the bottle, so my suggestion would be to take the tires off and take them to a tire shop capable of removing ATV tires from the wheel. Remove the slime, patch or plug the tire, and put them back on. If they are fairly worn tires, I would just buy some new ones.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

i would have to agree if they are even cloase to worn just replace, if not then take them to a tire place and have them patch them. I have had similar problems with my bike and i just bought new tires. sometimes it is just easer to get rid of the problem rather than to just patch it.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:49 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

By it's nature, the slim will not settle into one spot. It's good for riding trails, becuase you won't notice it's unbalacned on the trail. Out on the straights, it's another thing. If you're going to be going fast (like that's not gonna happen) take the slime out. Trust me, we had it in my nephews Pred (all four) and that was no picnic at 60 mph.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's absolutely vital to follow the instructions on the bottle, the tires need to be ran and rotated for quite a while right after it's put in the tire until the slime can set. I've used slime in ice tires before and when I followed the directions I didnt have any issues with balance. That's not to say the slime didnt fly out of the holes in the tire though. There is a slime for atv and similar off road tires that has a larger particulate size that should help with that issue but I have yet to try it.

Old 01-19-2006, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

well one reason i need to get this fixed, and avoid patching it / buying new tires is I ride where I am bound to run over nails at a fairly high rate.

Old 01-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

I finally just started taking a plug kit with me. They actually work quite well, and are cheap too.

Old 01-19-2006, 03:09 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

Originally posted by: SEMO
well one reason i need to get this fixed, and avoid patching it / buying new tires is I ride where I am bound to run over nails at a fairly high rate.

Take the tire off, remove the slime, re-apply the slime the correct way and ride on. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-20-2006, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

i am pretty sure i applied it the correct way the first time, i drove on it quite a bit afterwards etc

Quick Reply: Problem w/ Raptor after putting Tire Slime in, Please help..