Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Whats it take to get under 340lbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006 | 04:51 PM
|
Range Rover
Default Whats it take to get under 340lbs

I started tearing my raptor down today. I am going to have the frame and some other stuff powdercaoted black, Im going to replace all the bearings and bushings, and I will be adding an 02 tranny, new one way starter bearing, and maby a few other mods to the motor. But since I will be tearing the bike down I want to remove as much weight as possible. I am getting rid of the parking brake, front lights, and some other stuff. I will also be building a new subframe. What all can I do to get rid of some weight. I really want to be at 340 or less, even if I have to modify stuff like the frame. Thanks

Old 01-21-2006 | 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

You can spend a lot of time grinding and cutting on the stock frame for about an 8 lb loss. It's a last resort diet, lots of work for very little weight change. I have pictures posted on My Page of my light weight stock-frame Raptor, about 36 lbs for the frame and subframe after dozens of hours of work. You can lose a lot more weight by going to drag-lite suspension components first. They aren't strong enough for jumping but they are much lighter for drag racing or hill shooting. Everything from the axle to the front brakes can be changed or eliminated for light weight aftermarket parts. Check out my pics and a green Mountain Dew themed Raptor built by a guy in AZ, they are probably the two lightest stock-framed Raptors on the planet. It's going to be tough to get under 340 lbs wet, be prepared to spend big money. Some guys are sending their stock frames to drag chassis builders to have everything but the engine cradle replaced with lightweight chrome moly. It's drastic and spendy but it does get the weight down. If you go that route, understand that not all races allow those hybrids to run in the stock frame classes.

Old 01-21-2006 | 05:30 PM
|
Range Rover

I have access to every thing needed to build a new frame, or modify the one have now. My really good buddy builds rock crawlers from scratch and i help him so I can use his bender, tig welder and anything else. I plan on starting to build a new subframe out of chromolly here in the next few days. are you talking about only replacing parts of the frame with chromolly.

Old 01-21-2006 | 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

Just go on a diet and wear light gear. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-21-2006 | 06:26 PM
|
Range Rover

One problem with the diet. I am 5'9" and weigh 130 right now.

Old 01-21-2006 | 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

Dude when you replace the sterter bearing, replace "Gear 3", because it will screw you up if you dont, they're only like 70 dollars so its worth it.

Old 01-21-2006 | 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: thedieselkid
are you talking about only replacing parts of the frame with chromolly.
Yes, for a hybrid. You keep the mild steel engine cradle and weld on a new CroMo front and rear. You have to use a special tig rod to weld the mild steel to CrMo or it will crack. Look at Choosetolose's pictures, he had his DS done by Craig at CP Customs. They have are a couple of other drag frame buiders that have websites, you can get some ideas from them too.

Old 01-22-2006 | 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

i dont know if you can get under 340 with this or not, but LSR used to or still does (not sure) make titanium frames, swingarms, etc.. titanium is light and strong. its used on fighter jets and military applications alot.

BUT, you will pay alot for a complete titanium frame and stuff for an atv...it would be cheaper just to buy a lighter bike in the end...

Old 01-22-2006 | 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

I think I'll get my Raptor under 340 by Sicily in Mar. I need to weigh the chassis before taking any bets though:-)

Old 01-22-2006 | 01:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Come on guys if I can get a DS to 315 yall should be able to go 350 easy LOL

Quick Reply: Whats it take to get under 340lbs