Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Fresh motor break in procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 11:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fresh motor break in procedure?

I just started my fresh Warrior motor up after a rebuild. I had the head done with new valves seals etc., fresh .020 bore, new Wiesco piston and new rod. I assembled it myself and just fired it up tonight. How long should I baby this thing before I can drive it like I stole it, and how soon should I change the oil. I have been building car motors for years, but this is my first small engine.

Old 01-26-2006, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

2-3 tanks, stay out of the top end, and make sure to vary your rpms, and DO NOT lug the motor.

go to ctracing.com scroll down to the bottom for "CT Tip Sheets" then click on cylinder break in, hope that helps.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

I just started my fresh Warrior motor up after a rebuild. I had the head done with new valves seals etc., fresh .020 bore, new Wiesco piston and new rod. I assembled it myself and just fired it up tonight. How long should I baby this thing before I can drive it like I stole it, and how soon should I change the oil. I have been building car motors for years, but this is my first small engine.
About 2 to 3 tanks of gas.....After the first tank..Dont get on it hard and fast but ease into it up to full...and let off.....Do not hold it a high rpms....just bring her up for a sec and come back down....Here is a tip.....were you oilfilter goes into your case....On the little cover were you take your oil filter out...Put a stong magnet on that cover...It will pull and keep the metal shaveings there were you can get them out... when you go to change or cleen your oil filter....

Old 01-27-2006, 07:52 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

good reading

Old 01-27-2006, 09:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DriverDoyle
About 2 to 3 tanks of gas.....After the first tank..Dont get on it hard and fast but ease into it up to full...and let off.....Do not hold it a high rpms....just bring her up for a sec and come back down....Here is a tip.....were you oilfilter goes into your case....On the little cover were you take your oil filter out...Put a stong magnet on that cover...It will pull and keep the metal shaveings there were you can get them out... when you go to change or cleen your oil filter....
Does a aluminum stick to a magnet?? Not!!

BING - I was just going to post that site!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-27-2006, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

Does a aluminum stick to a magnet?? Not!!
Well i will tell you one thing...I have not tryed it on a warrior motor...So Prob not....I was not thinking....But i got the trick from the guy that built your rappy...Mr CrayCraft.....He had austinOneal Put one on his filter...But Its outside the case....So my bad on the warrior...If you could get it to stay it would work....