Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

View on "break in secrets" website

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default View on "break in secrets" website

I came across a post on the forum that had a link to this site: www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

What is your view on this method? I may not be so hard on the motor if its brand new but, what about new piston/rings?

I have read many break-in guides, some say it happens within the first 20 mins some say it takes 2 hours or more. The Honda manuals don't even match the Yamaha manuals for the same sized motors. I know two people who use the break-in from that site without problems.

Old 01-27-2006, 09:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

break-in isn't as 'touchy' as a lot of people make it seem. Just avoid long periods of idle, don't bounce it off the rev limiter, don't dog it around the whole time, and only ride for 15 minutes or so at a time so it doesn't get too hot. Part of break-in is just putting the motor through a few heat up-cool down cycles. The first 15-25 minutes are the most important, because that's when the rings break in and form a seal with the cylinder wall. I only went through about 4 gallons of gas after i had my recon rebuilt before it was bouncing off the rev limiter again

Old 01-27-2006, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

I use the mototuneusa method. I have never had a problem.

Old 01-28-2006, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

Same here..

Old 01-28-2006, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

this is one of those topics where you could ask 10 people and get 20 different answers.

I heard the first thing they do at the factory is run it through all the gears wide open, helps seat the rings.

The break in period is important since all the sliding metal surfaces have tight tolerances, and must be worn in properly to avoid damage. The engine gets much hotter than it normally would, so it's important to break it in properly, but not get it too hot, it will cause engine parts to warp.

Brief wide open blasts in a high gear is good, about 5 seconds, puts a load on the engine, the compression rings will seat in better, but avoid high-rpm which is hard on the bearings and the rings. Another good point is making sure you bring it up to operating temp the first time you ride it, The metal expands when it heats up, you want to break it in at this temperature because that's where it will be at when you ride it. about 15-30 minute ride good, then let it idle for a minute or so, then shut it off and let it cool down. This cool-down period actually tempers the iron components and piston rings, and hardens them, so they dont wear out as fast and will provide years of trouble free service.k

Then repeat the same process a few more times, generally riding longer and it helps to keep up the same riding style until you do the first scheduled maintenance

Old 01-28-2006, 12:45 AM
Range Rover

so if i was going to do this warm up thing to my new 400ex tell me if i got this rite....

idle bike fore 10-15min. then get on her hard for 15 min let it cool while i drink 2 down then get her dune good to go?

Old 01-28-2006, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

I warm it up thoroughly. Then I just go ride like normal for a good hr and not turning the engine off at all. This seats the rings especially.. I will redline it plenty of times.. I won't pound the crap out of it. Maybe that doesn't sound right. It's a technique on seating things properly.. My motor was just tore down w/ 150hr on it. A 4% leakdown. That is nothing short of oustanding!! Some builders can't even get that good of a leakdown on a brand new motor..

Old 01-28-2006, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

Break in your new motor the way you want to ride it .It is that simple.I have done this on many street bikes,dirt bike and quads and it has always worked for me.

Old 01-28-2006, 04:02 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: enFORCER
I use the mototuneusa method. I have never had a problem.
Ditto What enforcer and Sandgod said...
Thats EXACTLY how I broke in my 2004 YFZ motor.
Fired it up in the parking lot at the dunes, let it get up to temp, and then "got on it"!
Load the rings and let them get seated asap.

I've yet to have a problem with compression or reliability.
Motoman also states that the "cool down" period is only for breaking it in on a dyno as you do not have the air flow to cool the motor/radiator like you would under normal riding conditions.

My suggestion is to follow his method to the "T". [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-28-2006, 11:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rockroller
so if i was going to do this warm up thing to my new 400ex tell me if i got this rite....

idle bike fore 10-15min. then get on her hard for 15 min let it cool while i drink 2 down then get her dune good to go?
Thats a bit long, to let a new motor idle. The oil pumps on quads, dont pump much pressure or volume at idle.

Quick Reply: View on "break in secrets" website