Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

SOMEONE-- I NEED HELP, I think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 09:58 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOMEONE-- I NEED HELP, I think?

I need help with my warrior. I tore it apart and painted it, when I put it back together it wouldn't run good, this is the problem: well, i took the valve cover off and put the gasket back on and pinched it so it was leaking oil, and when I was riding it and cruising along, all of a sudden it will die out, just as if you turned of the switch, but if you pull the clutch in it will start to idle good and then take right back off. But I took it riding and the problem seemed like it went away, but then I had it at full speed and when I let off the throttle it died and wouldn't start for like 5 minutes. So I checked wires going to the switches and replaced the gasket, then I cleaned the carb and got a new plug, and it didn't fix it, it made it start to cut out again, but now after riding this weekend it seems to have stopped again. Do I really have a problem or am I just looking for something to be wrong? After thinking about it could it be cutting out because the carb may have air in the gas lines where I cleaned it? I'm confused, maybe I just confused you, please help though!

Old 01-29-2006, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure if this link will work.... here is a picture of the 350 head. What all did you take off the motor to paint it?

http://parts.yamaha-motor.com/partimage.gifx?d=9534,3,0

Old 01-30-2006, 10:59 AM
Range Rover

I actually didn't paint the head, just the frame< I have some pics up, I just took the vaalve cover off to look at the valves. Otherwise I took all the electrical and EVERYTHING else apart, a-arms, ball joints, carb, cdi, rectifier, everything came off.

Old 01-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, I was just making sure. I would say you have to go over all your wires. Maybe get some electrical contact cleaner (should be in the same area as carb,brake cleaner) and clean up all the contacts. Sometimes cables can rub on the frame and start grouding out, so check for that too.

If the carb was the problem you should be able to notice a pattern. Like it would be fine at idle but cut out after higher RPMs or the other way around. The carb will prime itself pretty quick once the motor has been started for the first time. All it really needs to do is fill the bowl up. The only time you would have priming problems is on motor where the gas tank is level with the carbs, such as a snowmobile. Anyone who has ran a tripple out of gas will know what it's like.

You can be almost 100% sure you didn't break anything. I'm sure its just some wire that is lose and is causing the motor to cut out. Start from your spark plug cable and work your way back.

Old 01-30-2006, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

you said its leaking oil? are you losing compression?

Old 01-31-2006, 01:11 PM
Range Rover

Yeah, the connections were all cleaned as I was putting it back together. I was loosing compression, I think because of my gasket, but thats fixed now. I did notice were one wire was rubbing under the shifter and the wire was exposed so i wrapped it with electrical tape. I don't know if its a related problem, but there is a sensor under the shifter that the wire went to, I BELIEVE that its something like a nuetral sensor, but unsure, but if it is it could be bad because my nuetral light doesn't work even with a new bulb? As you can probably tell I'm just all confused about my petite problems.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]