Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

whats the best rev box out there?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 02:01 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the best rev box out there?

i see.....thanks for the help man!!!/....keep em posted...

Old 02-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Range Rover

OK, I have a different quad, and have the same question. I want personal experiences here on what works the best on a YFZ450 that is set up like mine, see signiture....thanks for the input.

Old 02-19-2006, 11:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: marlboro
i am lookin to buy a z400, and i am adding mods to it, and the first thing is a cdi rev box, what is a good one out there?....and wat kind of price do they have?....post a good suggestion!!!!!

CDI

I have seen prices ranging from $350 to $400. This one is the best on the market right now. You have the ability to set the rev limiter where you want it and have several options on spark curve. You can also have vortex program a custom timing map for your application.

Good luck!

Ron

Old 02-19-2006, 12:32 PM
Range Rover

when theres different settings in timing curves what does that mean, ?>..like the vortex has 10 settings...i know what the rev boxes are for, letting your gears rev higher, when you use like the vortex ignition, what does timing curves mean....this might seem like a stupid question, but im just a young rider...i know the box gives more power, but how?....does it let let ur gears rev higher or somtin?....plz reply!!!!...any answers would help...

Old 02-19-2006, 02:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: marlboro
when theres different settings in timing curves what does that mean, ?>..like the vortex has 10 settings...i know what the rev boxes are for, letting your gears rev higher, when you use like the vortex ignition, what does timing curves mean....this might seem like a stupid question, but im just a young rider...i know the box gives more power, but how?....does it let let ur gears rev higher or somtin?....plz reply!!!!...any answers would help...

I don't claim to fully understand CDI's. One of the main functions is controlling spark timing. It controls when power is allowed to flow through the coils to the sparkplug which ignites the fuel/air mix. You get more power by advancing spark timing to a certain extent but if you advance it too much you will get preignition which is cumbustion that happens too early in the compression stroke that tries to turn the crankshaft around backwards. The solution is to run higher octane fuel because it has a slower burn rate and I believe it takes higher temperature to ignite also which comes into play when you raise compression. Within a certain window, if you can advance your spark timing more and can avoid preignition with higher octane fuel, you will have more power and use less fuel both.

The spark timing curves found on the MSD and the Vortex ignition allow you to adjust how much you advance spark timing at different rpms. Such as allowing you to bring more advance on line earlier and more peak advance but with a few degrees of timing retard (opposite of advance) at the very top of the rev range. This could allow you to increase power noticably but may also allow you to still run pump gas.

Now I am not saying if you buy an aftermarket CDI that you won't be able to continue using pump gas. In most applications the stock CDI is so conservative on advance, the additional 5 - 7 degrees of advance an aftermarket CDI will add will still work just fine on Premium fuel. YOu will know right away. If you do hear some awful sounding clatter under heavy load, shut her down and put better fuel in or you will ruin your motor.

This was somewhat over-simplified but you get the idea.

Ron

Old 02-19-2006, 03:48 PM
Range Rover

Ok, no real life stories yet on personal experiences with CDI's on YFZ's yet. I'm not looking for a complicated system like vortex or msd, but a simple plug and play replacement to the oem rev box...

Old 02-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: yfzfryguy
Ok, no real life stories yet on personal experiences with CDI's on YFZ's yet. I'm not looking for a complicated system like vortex or msd, but a simple plug and play replacement to the oem rev box...
You are correct about the MSD being complicated. The Vortex, however, is not. It is plug and play. The only thing that takes the Vortex a step further is you have to find room to mount the switch that changes between the different maps on your handle bars. The MSD comes with new coil and wiring harness and is really heavy. I have one and don't care for it much. The Vortex will snap right into your existing CDI port.

Ron

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-19-2006, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider
To ATV Thieves: "Hope you guys flip and die douches!"

I was to lazy to read all the messages so I'm just gonna write this, if you're not modding the enigne, it really isn't necessary to buy a rev box that's just my two cents...