Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Big Bear racing at idle, WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Bear racing at idle, WHY?

buddy has a 2000 Big Bear that was running rough and asked if I could help him clean the carb. took bowl off, took out all jets, drenched everything with carb cleaner and reassembled. installed new plug, cleaned air filter and fired it up. started right up but idled very high and wouldn't come down, header pipe got so hot it turned red. after shutting the machine down it would let out one big backfire. he said the choke had been sticking and I wonder if that is part of the problem. I should also mention that I snapped the heating element for the carb when putting it back together but runs the same with the terminals connected or not. any ideas? TIA

Old 03-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

Sounds like it could be the choke sticking. I took my carb all apart and when I put it back in the choke cable was stuck. Try giving it a little tug to see if its out of place. I'am thinking it would run fine with the terminals connected too. Only two things I can think of off the top of my head is choke or throttle cable. Good luck and let us know what it is.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

thanks, throttle seems to be free, but choke is definately sticky. would it be sticking inside carb? sprayed cleaner into both ends of carb when apart, how does that choke work, is it a butterfly?

Old 03-02-2006, 08:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The choke is an enrichener, just a valve with a couple o-rings. There are a couple small holes in the bore of the carb, on the upper part, on the engine side. Spray some wd-40 in there and work the choke until it frees up. Carb cleaner has a tendency to make things stick, I had to do the same with the stock carb on my warrior. Now I upgraded to the Edel and I have no choke. MUAH ha ha ha!

Old 03-02-2006, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

I was checkin' out the schematic and with your explanation it now makes sense. how do I get some lube spray in there?

Old 03-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Use the straw that somes with the wd, and squirt it into the holes in the bore of the carb. It would probably work better with the carb upside down so it runs in.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

10-4 big daddy!

Old 03-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

roll on, big momma

Old 03-03-2006, 10:07 PM
Range Rover

Check the boot that connects the carb to the cylinder head (I'm assuming there is some rubber to it). A tear / rip here would explain the high idle and the lean condition, most likely the cause of the glowing header. Also double check the carb for any possible air leaks, which would also let in additional air.

Old 03-04-2006, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider

will do.

Quick Reply: Big Bear racing at idle, WHY?