Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee Backfire...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2000, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went riding this weekend on the shee braking it in. I ride with dirtbikes and we went down some trails, didnt really have a hard time but may have fouled the plugs due to riding slow.

After a while of riding my bottom end litterally died. I had to rev the machine up very high and pop the clutch just to take off, if I did it regualar it would just bog in first then die.
I took off back to the truck to change/check plugs. Upon inspection they were pretty black after about 3 hours of riding. Even after changing the plugs I still had to rev it high, not as bad as before but when I first rode the quad ina field I did not have this problem.

We kept on riding and I wanted to empty out the tank of the gas the dealership put in it. We were hitting some jumps and I was having a great time, all of a sudden I went to hit one, then bla bla blapuhh puhh, lol, ran outa gas. Put the machine on reserve and headed for the truck.

Heres where the new problem comes in. The tank had a little left in it. I had a 5 gallon gas can and 2 16oz bottles of yamaha 2 cycle premix oil. The back of the container said to put in 20oz's for 5 gallons so thats what I did. The 2 guys that I ride with watched me do this to make sure I didnt goof it up. I emptied one full one (16oz) and 4 oz's from the next bottle (20oz). Matt was complaining about his knee so me and Mickey took off to ride. We mainly stayed on the open dirt roads for speed, I never really pinned it but 3 or 4 times all day. We were just cruising in 4th then BAM!! the darn thing backfires on me. I stop, asked Mickey if he heard it, the fool is laughing. I inspect the carbs and boots, all fine. We take off again and I watch the exhaust and carbs. I notice a little more white smoke than usuall, then it backfires again (half-hour later). The bike was running great after you get it out of the bog stage in take off on 1st, all the rest of the gears and powerband were explosive, just the 2 backfires that concearned me.

So whats the deal here, am I rich or lean?

No mods on the bike except rims/tires on the back. The temp was about 40-50 degrees out side and as far as elevation goes? well im in Fort Worth, TX

Any help?
**6 hours of riding left me sore as hell, ooo my back!**

Old 11-13-2000, 11:05 AM
Trailblazer

Sounds lean but need more info:
1)What mods do you have?
2)What is your current carb set-up: jets, needle position, pilot, airscrew

Old 11-14-2000, 02:23 AM
Pro Rider

The bike is stock as in signiture, only thing I have on it is the maxxis razrs and douglas rims. Other than that the whole bike is dealership stock and should be as stock settings.

Old 11-14-2000, 05:26 AM
Pro Rider

Ok let me try this again.

First get there had no problems starting out in first gear and easing out the clutch to go. Later on had to rev the bike very high and pop clutch just to get out of first gear.

Changed plugs, little help, but still had to pop clutch or it would bog and die.

When I ran out of the dealership gas I refueled with 32:1 ratio of gas(used super unleaded and yamalube). After that took a ride around. Little more smoke (white and smelled normal) than normal and it backfired twice. The bike still ran good though.

The bike is stock besides rear tires which are same size.

I dont know where the needles are set or what size the jet is, should all be dealership factory settings unless they have changed it. I will need to wait till I get home and check that.

Old 11-14-2000, 10:15 AM
Trailblazer

A few things to try:
1) Check that there is not excessive play in the emergency brake cable. There is a switch that is attached to a rev limiter for when the e-brake is applied. If there is too much slop in the adjustment the switch can engage intermittently in normal operation.
2) Does it idle? If not check the pilot circuits in the carbs for blockage.