Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor 660 Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 02:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 660 Question

I have an 05 rapor with curtis sparks exhaust pro flow kit 11:1 wiseco piston and stage 2 hot cams.........well here is my question. Does an after market cdi really do any good for the raptor? And if so what brand? Also would an after market carb do me any good and also what brand? Thanks

Old 03-15-2006, 12:56 AM
Trailblazer

Try asking about your Yamaha in the proper section!

Old 03-15-2006, 01:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

i tried....a little rude

Old 03-15-2006, 10:41 AM
Elite Pro Rider

An aftermarket CDI is not really gonna make a difference on your set-up. If you have a gazillion dollar motor set-up and are looking for the icing on the cake then maybe an aftermarket CDI could be in your plans. Moving this to the Yamaha forum....hopefully get more replies there.
Gary

Old 03-15-2006, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

i have the big gun cdi and i think it works ok, but if you can aford it i would get the dayna programable one. for carbs i would have to say getting the FCR's they are great, i think the best place to get them is triinity racing but that is just where i got them so any where would be just as good.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:14 AM
Trailblazer

i wouldn't wast my money on it. i rode a buddys of mine raptor with a white brothers cdi and didnt notice a difference. why take the chance of blowing the motor or throwing the already weak raptor rod through the side of your motor for an extra 1000 rpm. yamaha set the cdi at what it is at for a reason. if anything i would like to lower my cdi 300-500 rpm so then i could race at the rev limiter all the time and still have 100% assurance that i am doing no damage because im a tad lower than what yamaha set it at. my raptor smokes yfzs and 450rs all day. i dont need more power. and by the looks of what you have in yours it should too. so save the money and buy a pro flow adapter kit for your air filter because the stock one WILL let dirt through and you will have fried rings. or go buy wheel spacers and an axle because they are way to tippy stock. another good investment would be to have it ported and polished. i noticed a huge difference in mine. or i hear bigger valves help alot. fcr carbs are supposed to be the best. save some money because the starter clutch will probably go out eventually. and if you ever have any trouble with it running check the carberator boots they tend to pop oFF often. and also check the e-brake mechanism. it will act up from time to time.. if the reverse light ever blinks at you its because your holding it at high rpms in neutral. you can try turning the wheels inside out for width in the front for stablility but you will have terible bumpsteer. if the starter ever freewheels check the little keyway on the backside of the flywheel before you buy a starter clutch. and if you ever get back in the motor i suggest getting a new rod. theyre pretty weak. be easy on the rear fenders, the little plastic tabs in the back like to break off. if you ever lower it take the top chain roller off. if not it will break off.$15.00 for a new one. if you ever fry the clutch buy gytr clutch plates. and do it yourself. the cover will be a bit** to get off but it will come off. be sure to put it back on correctly or the starter shaft will snap and u will have 2 buy a new $230.00 starter. dont run turbo blue race fuel. it doesn't burn clean and will leave a huge amount of carbon im motor. tractech is recommended. if you buy an axle buy lonestar or rpm. rpm is the best. ive seen 4 broken durablues and bent 2 g-forces myself. buy a aluminum swingarm skidplate. the plastic on WILL break and you will have a bent brake rotor. 60.00 and need new pads every other ride. or you will throw a chain and bust the case. every peice of advice iv given you i have had personal experience with on my 02 raptor. iv been through alot of mistakes and troubles and learned alot in the process. i wish someone wouldve told me all this after i bought mine. good luck. and ride hard!!!