Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What is next in Performance Upgrades for my 686?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 04:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is next in Performance Upgrades for my 686?

ok capt... first off .. hp levels on madder to a point.. u can have a 100 hp shee and a 70hp raptor and the raptor would kill it its alla bout set up .. ur just looking at hp u need TQ to pull up those hills something 4strokes have plenty of... go buy or borrow some 8 paddle tires , keep ur stock carbs there great nothing wrong with them ,dont change ur front tooth down 1 gear i did it its horrible yes u can take off in 2nd but why make ur ratios shorter if u have more power try going up 1 gear ... going down is for stockers who need a lil more take off ....alot of things will change the way u make power and actually use it ... ur exhaust intake and the timing.... just give the tires at least a shot u will see the difference ...if u want to go back to a shee and spend more money to be probly where u are now feel free to but remmeber also sound isnt everything u can throw ont he biggest and loudest exhaust and feel like ur flying but u are actually losing about 8hp ... give the raptor another shot... a good mod u can buy if u really wanan try is get a chip so u can increase ur rpm another 1000 it does help then u up ur front tooth 1 gear . gives u a longer shift lets u hold ur power a lil longer plus with the extra 1000rpm u can wait longer to shift. i launched in 2nd gear plenty of times and never had a problem the gekos suk.. i had them i switched to haulers and it made a difference.. hell i felt faster on the stock tires than i did the geckos.. sorry for the essay excuse any bad grammer . but at least listen to one of us on this forum and not he guy tellin u to buy a banshee haha and juss try it . theres plenty of people who have 90-100hp machines but there only using 50mabey 60hp of what they can really produce because of bad setup hp isnt everything its about setup
and please dont flame for any errors. im not always on a computer nor do i type often

Old 03-31-2006, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

Took it for a blast down the street yesterday (cuz it was a RARE 70* in march here in Chicago) and, i do still Love the power of it. I hate to part with it. Maybe i will toss a +4 Swingarm on it and, keep it (don't want to try the Swingarm Ext cuz i'll still have all the weight and, complication of the stock junkarm) . I have over 10k ez in it and, hate to take the kind of a beating on it i think i will. I will give it one more year!

I'd like to get a decent one with a carrier (Honda Style). What do you guys think of this one? Seems to me like a decent one for not a ton of $??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ASR-B...25439728QQrdZ1

I'm still gonna try to find a nice banshee to buy though. I miss the 2 stroke rush! I'd like to find one with a lot of stuff done to it already so i can have 2 fast play bikes! I could always let the Girlfriend use one!

Old 03-31-2006, 01:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

t-Dub Racing has the best prices on a great quality swing arm. I will try to provide a link for him. Tons of people with built bikes use him. Waht size haulers are you going with? that will determine the best gearing. I run 22" haulers with 12/42 and it works great. If your going to run 20's I still would drop down one tooth in the front or go up 3 in the rear.

Old 03-31-2006, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

I will be running the 20in 8 Paddles.

I just looked at T-dub - I have heard from more than one person that the round tube style is weak and, I should be looking for Square or Oval at least. It looks like not a bad price tho. $305 bare, 175 for chrome and, 175 for bearing carrier - 655 for chromed with carrier. Wonder if it'd hold up to some jumping and, the nasty bumps/ruts the dunes can have.

Old 03-31-2006, 05:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

The t-dub swing arm will hold up dont get the open flame housing get the maltese or square housing, plus you can powdercoat it blue and save around $100. I'll go find a picture of my bike with the candy blue arm and post it. I would run a 43 tooth in the rear with the 20's.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider
Runs a DS870 that will flat out Shit and Git!

Now your talking my man!!

You can get whatever swingarm you want...I got a crushed tube(oval) +6 swingarm from T-Dub and it is plenty strong. I have jumped it and it holds up to that no problem. His +4 would probably be even stronger, just cause the length is shorter. You will love the honda style carrier.

And on the tires, since you already have the gecko (which are a play only tire) go ahead and get your 8 paddle haulers in 22 inch diameter. They will do much better in drag racing than the 20 inches.

Old 03-31-2006, 07:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree on the 22's OveRaTed, but I think his friend gave him the 20's.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

Oh sorry, didn't realize that.

Old 03-31-2006, 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: OverRaTeD
Oh sorry, didn't realize that.
Not at all bro, If he was buying haulers 22's are the only way to go. I think since he saved $250 on paddles he should go for some LTE's. lol

What do we know, we just own slow Kenz bikes.

Old 03-31-2006, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, that $250 bones would go pretty good on that set of Barker Pipes that Smittybuilt is selling for $550.

Quick Reply: What is next in Performance Upgrades for my 686?