Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor for MX

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2000, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently bought a shiny new Raptor and plan on setting it up for MX racing. I'm no stranger to racing ATV's, I actually started over 10 years ago on 3-wheelers. I was just wondering if anyone else out there plans on setting up their Raptor for MX racing. I'm looking at +2" +1" a-arms, a +4" axle, TCS front shocks w/ TCS rebuild in back, douglas racing wheels w/ Turfs, and a good pipe and silencer. That's for starters, more mods will follow. Let me know what you guys are planning on. Later!

'01 Raptor Black & White
'92 Suzuki Quadracer

Old 11-15-2000, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck man and go out and kick some honda butt and show them that Raptors can win moto-X.

Old 11-16-2000, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

hey this is off topic but i think u can answer my question since u raced 3 wheelers. my friend has a ytm175 (yamaha tri-moto) he says they used to race them but i don't believe him. maybe u could help me out? thanx.

Old 11-16-2000, 12:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have not receive my raptor! due to tha fact that I am from Panama in central america. I am getting a very good deal in the raptor $5000. because I am going to be sponsored by Yamaha down here. I am very interested In mx performances and how the raptor works on the mx track and what can help me get a better handling. I use to race banshees is the raptor allot better than the banshee for MX. (soory for my grammar spanish is my first language.)

Thanks.

Old 11-16-2000, 12:48 AM
Range Rover

I'm going the same route that you are using, +2 arms ,eliminator +4 axle,tcs front, and rear conversion ,gytr skid plate,fastline brake lines,not sure which bumper,sticker kit or gearing ill use,I'm stillin the air on which 18's i'll use and which rims,not sure on pipe either.I want pep zps shocks but cant wait 6 months,so tcs will do.

=

Old 11-16-2000, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

Hey juggalo, I've never seen a 175 yamaha 3-wheeler on the track, actually that was probably even before my time. I did see several Yamaha Tri-Z 250's though. Your friend may be telling the truth, it was common for folks to race the honda 185's way back when...and we complain about lack of tech. on our quads!

Old 11-16-2000, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

I am going with lonestar +3" A-arms and a lonestar +4" axle. I am going wit +3 A-arms because that will make it the same width as a 400ex with +2 a-arms. Braided Lines, Grooved font radials and grooved rear turf tamers on beadlocks. Pipe, cam, and high comp piston. That is just the beginning. Man this is an expensive hobby.

Old 11-16-2000, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

Hey schollz, sounds like you're planning on alot of the same stuff I'm looking at. I may end up getting the +3" a-arms also, but I was told that with the +2" a-arms that you would be just as wide as a 250R with +2" arms, but over 11" of front wheel travel! I plan on getting a lot of other exrtas as well. Let me know how yours comes out!

Old 11-16-2000, 09:10 PM
Range Rover

I have run the Raptor on an MX track and it seems to run well. The stock tires are grabby in the corners. It seems to come off the jumps balanced and true.

I have installed a DuraBlue +3 to +5 axle on it. The stock axle is poor. Very short and easily bent. The handling increased 100 fold compared to the stock axle. This would be the first mod I would do. (I was forced to because I bent the stock axle after one week)

I have Lone Star +3 A-Arms on order and TCS no-preloads. Braided brake lines also.

I am not doing the back shock until after I do engine mods and seeif the front end stays on the ground. If the front won't stay on the ground with increased HP then I will order an extended Swingarm either +1 or +2 then redo the back shock to match the front.

To be effective on the MX track it will have to be widened and lowered.

Old 11-16-2000, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

Where did you run your Raptor on the track at? You wouldn't happen to be the guy with the blue Raptor that I met at Western Ky Supercross?

Quick Reply: Raptor for MX