Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 02:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee Mods?

What are some easy mods to install on a banshee that will give it a big boost?

Old 04-08-2006, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default Banshee Mods?

Best bang for the buck is intake, exhaust and rejet.

If you know how to turn wrenches, have the cylinders sent out to be ported, get an intake manifold that will accept larger carbs, throw on some 34mm PJ carbs and some reeds.

Old 04-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Trailblazer
Default Banshee Mods?

Yes, intake/exhaust mods are always a good performance enhancement. For low/no-cost mods to a Banshee, try these:

1) Put your rear tires/rims on backwards (valve stem to the inside). This will widen the rear track slightly for more stability.
2) If you don't ride in water/mud much, remove the airbox lid & snorkel and install a clamp-on type filter w/outerwear. This will require rejetting. Or, if you do ride in those conditions, leave the lid on & just remove the snorkel, or even go a step further & drill some holes in the top of the lid. I'd still put an aftermarket clamp-on filter w/outerwear though.
3) Eliminate the TORS System, if still equipped (find out how by using the search function).
4) Spend some time dialing in your rear shock - it is quite adjustable. The fronts are preload only though, and not very good.
5) Get a 4 degree advance key and flywheel puller (to do the job) - total cost is less than $30. Make sure you run 91 octane or higher, but I'd run 93 at least. You'll get a bit more power due to the advanced timing.
6) Depending on where you ride (woods/trails, dunes, open fields, track, etc.), consider changing your front sprocket from the standard 14-tooth to a 13 (for more grunt) or a 15 (for more top speed). Unless you ride in 6th gear alot, you'll probably be better off with the 13-tooth.

That's all I can think of right now. Hope this helps.

Old 04-08-2006, 08:00 PM
Trailblazer
Default Banshee Mods?

couple other cheap mods... have ur timing advanced and the flywheel lightened...shouldn't cost more than $100.00 for that. there is much more you can do if interested...I've done a lot to mine, but it has cost me some$$$.

Old 04-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default Banshee Mods?

Get your head shaved, (the one on your Banshee).
Get an adjustable timing plate.
Get cylinders ported.
Get a set of good aftermarket pipe's
If your only a 350, I wouldn't go any bigger than 30 mm carbs... imo.....
Aftermarket reeds.
If you do all this you might need to put some heavier springs in your clutch as well.

Old 04-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default Banshee Mods?

If you want to do anything to the bottom, per chance, consider Dynajet kit, an RB carb mod, 27.5 pilots, and an RB head mod. I put DFIII reeds on mine. Incredibly tight and crisp. Increases bottom to a head-snaping responsiveness that you can't believe is possible. Most Banshee people don't want to mess with the bottom, just increase top, but if you do any trails or whoops at the dunes, it is hugely beneficial.....not to mention great fun. You don't have to be up in the power band to pop your front end over the whoops. You've got power wherever and whenever you want it, top or bottom end. His site lists prices. Very reasonable, and he is a perfectionist when it comes to quality of work.

Old 04-09-2006, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider
Default Banshee Mods?

Originally posted by: DieselTech
Yes, intake/exhaust mods are always a good performance enhancement. For low/no-cost mods to a Banshee, try these:

1) Put your rear tires/rims on backwards (valve stem to the inside). This will widen the rear track slightly for more stability.
2) If you don't ride in water/mud much, remove the airbox lid & snorkel and install a clamp-on type filter w/outerwear. This will require rejetting. Or, if you do ride in those conditions, leave the lid on & just remove the snorkel, or even go a step further & drill some holes in the top of the lid. I'd still put an aftermarket clamp-on filter w/outerwear though.
3) Eliminate the TORS System, if still equipped (find out how by using the search function).
4) Spend some time dialing in your rear shock - it is quite adjustable. The fronts are preload only though, and not very good.
5) Get a 4 degree advance key and flywheel puller (to do the job) - total cost is less than $30. Make sure you run 91 octane or higher, but I'd run 93 at least. You'll get a bit more power due to the advanced timing.
6) Depending on where you ride (woods/trails, dunes, open fields, track, etc.), consider changing your front sprocket from the standard 14-tooth to a 13 (for more grunt) or a 15 (for more top speed). Unless you ride in 6th gear alot, you'll probably be better off with the 13-tooth.

That's all I can think of right now. Hope this helps.

Good tips..On tip 5 though i would reccomend just slotting the stock stator or buying the after market stator plate on ebay for $35..I mean not that the key dosn't work but for a extra 5 bucks you can get the plate and be able to adjust from +10 to -10..Most people just stay at +4 but still..I myself just slotted my stock plate, There is room for almost 5 degree's of advance in the stock plate..If you would like i can give you a link to a website that has a step by step guide to advancing the timing for free using the stock plate..

Old 04-09-2006, 09:42 AM
Trailblazer
Default Banshee Mods?

lethaface - I'd like to see that how-to, sounds interesting. (and cheap, which is good!)

Old 04-09-2006, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider
Default Banshee Mods?

Timing advance guide

This tutorial is for a blaster but the steps are exactly the same..The only difference is that the banshee stator plate has 3 screw holes to bore left rather than 2 on the blaster..I have did this on my blaster and my new banshee and you can tell a good difference..Its a good solid 2hp to the lowend, and the beauty of it, is that its free [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Diesel this is a few pictures of my banshee build..Added a ton of stuff all at once like Speed tech ported cylinders, pipes, tons of paint work and a bunch of other stuff that would take to long to list lol..

Some of the new added parts

finished product(at the time, added tons more since then lol)