Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 03:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor won't start

ok guys need some help, my raptor will not start dont know what the deal is. Ok last weekend I put a new magneto in and a la design one way bearing and a dyn fs ignition, ran awesome all week then I crunk it up rode it about 50 yrds and it dies took a bit to restart just seemed like a dead battery well rode it abt a quarter mile and killed it would not crank back up. checked battery cables they were fine pushed it back to the shop would not push start. cheched battery it was fully charged checked plug and fuses all were good starter and selinoid checked out to. it woudl not pull of it would turn over when I popped the clutch but it would not actually crank like it wasnt getting any gas. when you puch the start button it just clicks liek the battery is dead? any ideas some one please help???????????

Old 04-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

if the battery is strong,,,,and the sarter wont crank the motor thru the compression stroke,,,I would guess that your decompression mechanism is knocked out of allignment in your cam

tell me more about your one-way......did you replace it before it let go?

Old 04-12-2006, 04:35 PM
Super Quad Patrol

did you possibly shear the one-way bolts

Old 04-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Trailblazer

no i replaced it after the one way had gone I had local shop do some work on my bike and when i got it back after a few runs it did shear all six bolts holding the one way and magneto together and messed up the bearing so ireplaced it and it has started fine and i took the case off and no all the one way and everythign is still good bolts in tact how do i check the decompression mechanism?

Old 04-12-2006, 04:46 PM
Super Quad Patrol

you would have to remove the head cover, lift the cam out,,,and re-install the decompression counterweight that rides on a shaft in the middle of the cam

same thing happened to my bike,,,,,cheap fix,,,,but a little labor and know how

why didnt the shop fix the oneway after their bolts sheared??

here

items 5 and 7 are out of allignment (potentially)

Old 04-12-2006, 04:53 PM
Trailblazer

Ok I see what you are talking about yeah I have the head apart now I'm abt to do a 727 kit. so the two pins on 5 would have slipped out of the groves on 7 for it to be messed up? is that what you are saying? how was your bike acting when it wouldnt crank. and the shop wouldn't fix it b/c they were well i guess a-holes herd nothing but bad abt them since.

Old 04-12-2006, 05:02 PM
Super Quad Patrol

exactly

the 2 pins on 5 need to line up with each counterweight on 7, so when the rpms increase,,,the weights swing open and disable the decompression mech,,,,,you got it

my engine would crank until the compression stroke and then stop,,,,,,i could hand crank the engine thru it,,,,but not under its own power

I believe it started at one point,,,,but it could hardly run a few rotations

Old 04-12-2006, 05:05 PM
Trailblazer

well thats what it was doing I could pull it behind my other bike and the chain turning will actually turn the engine over while the bike is moving but when i tried to pop the clutch and nothing it would get nothing when i gave it gas or chocked it is this all related to this?

Old 04-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Super Quad Patrol

if it is the problem,,,,,it will show itself to you,,,,,,and then it will fire right up like a new bike once you correct it

dont forget you use locktite on the moving stuff

Old 04-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Trailblazer

Tahnks alot, you have been a great help,did this all happen on your stock cam what upgrades do you have done to your bike

Quick Reply: raptor won't start