Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

i sank my grizzly

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i sank my grizzly

okay so nevermind how it happened i sank my grizzly it flipped over as soon as it was in the water, bobbed up and down then sank. it was at the bottom for a few minutes before we could get a tow rope around it. the engine shut off as soon as it went under. we took the spark plug and all the drain caps off.. we fogged the motor with wd40 the electric system was still working so we were able to run the water out of the engine but it didnt turn over obviousley and i wouldnt want to . the machine is at the dealer which has been closed since this happened on saturday . i guess they will drain the oil and gas i assume the differential is a closed system so it shouldnt have been affected . am i screwed or what? 2006 660

Old 04-17-2006, 09:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

they will most likely drai nthe fluids... and don't be shocked if there's a big oil bill.. it usually takes a coupel changes( depending on how long they have it) before all of the water is out of the oiling system... they will most likely clean the carb too... it's seen people sink quads... pull the plug.. stand it on the end.. give it a few mins.. start it up and ride the rest of the day...( wouldn't reccommend it)

Old 04-17-2006, 09:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

do they have to keep flushing with the overpriced yamalube oil or can they just use cheap stuff and use yamaha product once all the water is out ?

Old 04-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

most likely with the overpriced yamahalube...

Old 04-18-2006, 12:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Man that toattly stinks, i hope you were wearing a lifevest. To avoid this again you should put some floaters on the side that you can pull and they will blow up so it dosent sink.

Old 04-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

must have been looking for some salmon

Old 04-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

well the machine was fixed this morning and is running better than brand new
no i wasnt wearing a life jacket ...i dont know if many people wear life jackets to go out 4 wheeling. i was just curious sick whip if u know of a product on the market that would eject floatewrs in the event of an emergency and would these floaters hold a 650 pounds plus my 2 hundred if youve heard of such a product pleae let me know

Old 04-18-2006, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

So did they take advantage of you?

Old 04-18-2006, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: grizz660mtl
okay so nevermind how it happened i sank my grizzly it flipped over as soon as it was in the water, bobbed up and down then sank. it was at the bottom for a few minutes before we could get a tow rope around it. the engine shut off as soon as it went under. we took the spark plug and all the drain caps off.. we fogged the motor with wd40 the electric system was still working so we were able to run the water out of the engine but it didnt turn over obviousley and i wouldnt want to . the machine is at the dealer which has been closed since this happened on saturday . i guess they will drain the oil and gas i assume the differential is a closed system so it shouldnt have been affected . am i screwed or what? 2006 660
You say the machine was on the bottom or was it just upside down? Did it actually sink ?I drowned mine out one time but when I got off it, it floated.I had to drain all fluids, and also do numerous oil changes.Oh yea and clean the carb completely. And yes it runs as good as it ever did.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

been there done that about a dozen times,drain belt air cleaner and change oil a few times she will run good as new

Quick Reply: i sank my grizzly